Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Gemini146
Casual Contributor

Help with getting mum through psychosis

Hi

My mother very recently had a seizure that brought on psychosis. She's been in hospital for a week. She's still having symptoms. It's so upsetting for our family to see her like this. I feel very powerless. I'm also very tired and sometimes lose my patience with her. It's putting pressure on the relationship with my sister and stepdad. I have to go back to work on Monday (and I live about 2.5 hours away). I feel like I'm stuck in a nightmare, mum is so upset and it's just all too much. When will she come out of this? What if she doesn't get better? What are we going to do? Any advice appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Help with getting mum through psychosis

Hi @Gemini146,

Welcome to the SANE Forums 🙂 I'm one of the moderators here, I just wanted to pop by and say thank you so much for sharing your story with us. 

I can't imagine what the last week has been like for you trying to manage your mother being so extremely ill, as well as your relationships with your sister and stepdad- let alone your own responsibilities all the way back home. It sounds like such an overwhelming situation to be in. 

I think it's pretty understandable to feel powerless in a situation like that- it's in the hands of the professionals. But it sounds like you've done everything you possibly can, given the circumstances. Give yourself a break if you can Gemini146. There's no "right" way to deal with the curve balls that life throws at us. You are only human, under immense stress and exhaustion we do get irritable at times! 

Try and take some time out for yourself if you can. Do things that relax you, or make you smile. Do you have anyone around you for support? Hopefully the SANE Forums can be here for you over the next few weeks if you need 🙂 

Thinking of you! 

Thanks. I feel bad going back home but I've got to go back to work. How long will this go on for? Does anyone else have any experience with this type of psychosis?

Hi @Gemini146

Unfortunately there's no definitive answer as to how long psychosis lasts. However, your mum is in the best place possible - hospital.

Is your mum is the psychiatric unit or in another ward?

If this is her first seizure, it could be that the hospital are first trying to find the cause of that, before the addressing the symptoms of psychosis.

Usually, if someone is having a psychotic episode and are admitted into hospital they will spend some time working out what the best treatment is. They may be looking at what medication and dosage works for the person - they will keep them in hospital while this happens.

As I said, the best thing about this is that she's in the hospital, which hopefully means they are working towards getting her better. Has the hospital been good and communicating what's going on with you and the family?

@Gemini146,, its hard to predict how long bad psychosis like this, after axseisurecwill last until they pinpoint the cause. The only experience I have with this is working as a nurse. Medical staff will need to rule out physical causes - like some biochemical medical conditions eg Wilson's disease, Porphouria, Alzheimer's etc, or Brain injury - trauma, tumour, stroke etc, If the seizure is a reaction to a substance (drugs), its possible she has developed Drug relates psychosis, whixh may pass but also could develop into Chronic schizophrenia (I have 2 brothers with this), if physical causes are ruled out, its likely your mum will be admitted to Mental Health Ward for at least a month (give or rake) for her own safery, for observation, rest, formal diagnosis and stabilised on strong medication. As NickNick & Concealedcows gave said, you can return to work knowing your mum is in the vest place but ring the nurse looking after your mum every other day, after lunch for an update and maybe visit again next weekend. As you say, she is distressed and I'm sure, I know a familiar caring face will south her, even if it doesn't appear so at first. I have spent months in hospital over the years and its a lonely place. Also, it speaks volumes to the staff to see family backup, and a safety net for the vest possible care for your mum.

Be patient - all will be revealed in time.
Do things to De-stress yourself - a serious illness like this in the family is quite high on the stress scale. Swim? Walk? Yoga, TaiCho, Meditation, healthy food...
Be kind to yourself, let us k ow how it all goes. xoz

Sorry about typos grr!

Hi, thanks for your reply 🙂 yes they have been communicating as best they can. They really had no choice given at least one of us has been there most of the time. She's currently in the neuro ward but will move elsewhere soon given all of tests will soon be exhausted. That is EEG, MRI and lumber puncture. They are looking at her medication. Thanks again for the reply

Hi thanks for replying Tawney. Wondering what you mean by formal diagnosis? Is a seizure induced psychosis not one? It's definitely not drug related it seems like insomnia triggered something? But really it's quite out the blue. I'm meant tonne going overseas in a few weeks but I think I'll have to cancel. Would it be selfish to go?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance