Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

june
New Contributor

Healing From A Narcissistic Mother

Ever since I can remember, I grew up thinking something was wrong with me.

My mother disliked me, and she made sure I knew it.

My parents earned a combined salary of over 400k a year, we lived in a small mining town with our house, cars and bills paid for by the company my dad works for, but I started working at a fast food joint from the age of 13 while I was still in high school. I went to a private school, always winning awards and acing classes and I never had any problems making friends. 

Somehow, no matter how many friends I made, how many awards I won, and how independent I was (I started having to pay for my own stuff when I got a job), my mother always hated me. Of course, I grew up thinking there was something wrong with me.

She enjoyed excluding me from the rest of the family (when I was 14, she told me I had to do my own laundry from now on. She would do everyone else's laundry, except mine...) and she would serve up dinner for everyone in the family, but tell me to get my own. My younger brother was always favoured, but I never resented him for it. He understood that what my mum was doing was unfair, and I understood that is was not his fault.

Despite having wonderful grades, a standing offer from UNSW (as I participated in a wide array of their writing and English tests) and teachers who constantly assured me that I would go far, my mother pulled me out of school at the age of 16 in Year 11. My teachers, school counsellor, and vice principal all attempted to contact my mother and to encourage her to re-assess, and every day, I watched as she deleted their voicemails from our home phone - their pleas interrupted halfway. 

Being a stubborn bitch, I wouldn't let something as petty as a high-school diploma get in the way of my dreams. I relentlessly applied to universities on my own (with my mum scoffing at me and telling me universities wouldn't accept a 16 year old drop-out) - sending letters to heads of schools and Deans from a little country town and calling them on my lunch breaks at work. Because of this, I entered tertiary education at the age of 17 while my peers were finishing high school.

When I turned 18, my mother who works for a bank, got me to take out a credit card and a loan under my name. She somehow convinced me that it was so I can help my 9 year old cousin with a brain tumor pay for medical bills. In the end, my mother emptied all the money from my account and I am still left paying for her debts under my name.

She must always be the centre of attention. She insisted on throwing lavish engagement party for my then-fiance and I, and bragged about what a wonderful mother she is, but she fails to mention that she still owes me at least 30k and she pocketed all my university allowances while I juggled university and part-time work.

Last Christmas, at a festive gathering with friends and families, she wanted a photo taken of her and her friends. She called me over and announced "fatty, come over here and take our photo." I am only 51kgs and barely a size 8-10.

As I grew up, found my loving husband, and talked with some mental health professionals, it became apparent that while I now have depression and anxiety from her actions, the real problem lies in her exploitative narcissistic personality disorder.

But sometimes, I still think "why me?" and I catch myself feeling jealous of my husband with his wonderfully loving and nurturing mother. 

As my husband and I start planning for future children, I am gripped by fear and anxiety that I will be just like my mother. 

This journey to healing is so painful and slow, and sometimes, I wonder if I will ever even heal at all. 

If anyone has any tips, insights or words of encouragement, it would mean the world to me. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Healing From A Narcissistic Mother

Hi @june

It was painful and sad to read how your mother treated you - I could only imagine how painful it is for you. Sending a warm hug.

I also experienced an abusive childhood (my mother the abuser) - not quite the same as what your mother did; my mother snapped and was violent (an attempt on my life), was cold and I received no love, just put downs and neglect. And yes it does have it effects (I went off the rails when young). But no, it does not have to control or ruin the rest of our lives. Healing is possible.

The worst damage done to me was believing I had no value as a result. Why didn't my mother love me?? Why wasn't I worth it?? Whyyy???? This played out in so many ways for years through anxiety and depression. And occasionally I can still feel it's pang, the pain but it doesn't control me.

I felt insecure - not safe. And left with low self esteem/confidence as a result. Then I realised it wasn't me with the problem - it was my mother. So I disowned any labels of worthlessness and disconnected from my past emotionally - looking forward, not back. Reinventing myself from within. It's the quality of the relationships and what I do now with my life that matters. That's the focus. That is who I am. It's making that distinction and letting go. Disconnecting emotionally/mentally

You will never be like your mother. You are too aware of the pain and hurt that occurs. You care - she did not. That is the big difference. You would be more protective if anything. You have a loving husband - see yourself through his eyes. That is you. 

Dont be jealous of his loving relationship with his mother - become part of it. Get to know her and allow her in. That would be healing for you - you are all now a family. Family is those who love you and are there for you - not necessarily always blood relatives.

You managed to excel academically, in the workforce and create a successful, loving relationship. If anything your mother brought out your resolve, your determination, your strength. Well done you! - believe in you and move forward and let not the past hold you back. It's good to talk about the pain, the scars at some stage (this is your time) so as to allow yourself to fully grieve which has been bottled up for too long - then you can let it go and move on.

Hi @june

I can give you insight - yes - for some reason - probably because I was rebellious - I had a difficult relationship with my mother and what you have written really hits the mark

Like @Former-Member - I am sure you won't grow like your mother - something horrible happened to your mother at an early age and warped her - so bad - and although she could not help herself it is still wrong for her to use you this way

You have achieved a lot in your life - in spite of - or maybe because of your mother - me too - I am actually learning that I am a person with a right to be the person I have chosen to be - and my younger sibling as not - this person has grown up to be shallow and 2 dimensional - toxic too - so I don't have anything to do with them

I guess both of us at different times and in different ways have found a life away from our mothers but still the memories are painful and unforgetable and I am sorry you have had this experience

You are wondering if it will ever heal - I don't know honestly - but many years after I made a mature and informed decision to keep away from my mother I still feel that same thing "Why did she have to take it out on me?"

And I don't think there is anything wrong about that question - it is valid and honest

The memories - they say time heals all things - but then - not all soldiers come back from a war - I would say the memories will last

But we can learn not to feel wrong about having the memories - or even being the victim of an abusive mother - as hard as it is - we can build a life for ourselves - and at this stage it seems that both of us have - as hard as it has been

Decadian

Hi @june,

I am very sorry to hear about your relationship with your mother. Yes, it sounds like she has some major psychological issues, which you are now beginning to understand with professional help.

Please don't think you will end up like her! You have self-awareness and she has none. You have talked to professionals and she probably never has. 

If you decide to become a mum one day, then call in all the resources you need; even do a parenting course and join a mother's group and have some counselling, if you need it. If you are self-aware and proactive you will not turn out like your own mother. 

I grew up with a difficult mother, too. My mum had absolutely not idea what her problems were and lived in denial her whole life. She was moody, angry and unpredictable. She would snap and snarl for no apparent reason and her anxiety was off the scale. My dad and my siblings mainly enabled her to get away with everything. We all trod on egg-shells, all the time. I was always afraid of her. I never knew were I stood and always feared abandonment or worse.

I grew up very anxious and have suffered from major depression. The one thing I do believe is that my mum was never aware of how she came across to other people and had no idea of the damage she did to me. She was just completely oblivious!

Mum died last year.  I never confronted her over her behavior and I'm sure that if I had of tried to do so, she would have thought I was insane. I feel forgiveness in my heart for her. I just wish she had been a happier person. Smiley Sad

@june; you are not your mother. Let her and her weirdness go. Focus on all the good things you do have. 

Hi june. Knowing what you know, now about your mother, it would be too easy for you to go to the opposite extreme. I would say your mum possibly felt she had to 'fight' for recognition within her own family. Whether this is true or something she believes is not really the point. It's good you recognize her traits and understand her dislike of you is more directed to herself, but because she is unable to 'see' herself it's easier to lash out at someone who can't punish her. Possibly she was punished as a child by an emotionally strong mother/father and this feeling of having to be in control is because she had to 'shut-up' or suffer the consequences. She's taken her frustrations out on you because she couldn't lash out at whoever 'hurt' her. There is absolutely no reason to suspect you will behave in a similar fashion. You have a loving hubby, I presume your MIL and you have a great relationship (lucky you). If your hubby is aware of your mum's personality traits, I would ask him to help you and guide you if he feels you could be leaning towards her in your treatment of your future children. My mum was quite narc and violent. So glad I recognize those traits and was able to stop myself from similar behavioural patterns.

My narcissistic mother was extremely emotionally abusive. I've suffered depression and anxiety in the past. I cut my mother out of my life almost 5 years ago now and life has improved immensely. I'm married with 2 children. I've learnt that being abused as a child has shown me how to be an amazing mother, it shows you exactly what not to do as a parent.  Since healing from my childhood I no longer suffer depression or anxiety, just the memories of the past. You will be a wonderful mother. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance