Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Anytime
New Contributor

Getting over addiction

Hey everyone, first time on here. Does anyone here have any experience getting over  addiction. I won't go into details but I can already feel the certain substance beginning to impact my life and I just feel so lost trying to stop.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Getting over addiction

Hi @Anytime I have experience with addiction. It's frightening. Would you like advice? Or would you like me to share my experience with you? I'll assume the latter and share a little - I compulsively used marijuana for 20 years. I was in denial about that addiction, never acknowledging that it was addiction because I had days off. That addiction thankfully sort of fell away after changes in my life that increased the periods of abstinence by necessity. In my late 20's I began to use alcohol problematically too. The only thing that has allowed me to achieve abstinence from alcohol is Alcoholics Anonymous and the power of that program and the fellowship involved. I have also attended Narcotics Anonymous where a similar power can be found, but have elected to remain mainly in AA. Let me know if you'd like to chat further and I can share more.  

Hey.  I am new here. And I recovered from alcohol abuse. I don't  I really say I'm an addict.  I went through home detox with my mum and ex addict brother.  and hospital detox programs where you stay the week as a voluntary ward of state style help. I had moments when I couldn't remember showering that week I hated that. Seeing me raw  washing it off and stepping back into it. That's what I kinda thought helped break finally free b I was sick of the cycle of cleaning myself and being the same sick filth pit my mind and body became.  I want to help anyone anyway I can.  I believe we all need the help I was so lucky to get.   It hurts down there alone in the dark after you dissolve it all with substances . Maybe I can hold a torch light with my phone. I love puns. I hate what I did.  Surviving and life after addiction is my journey still.  

hey @SunshineWalker ❤️ Firstly, welcome to the forums! I'm TuxedoCat, one of the peer workers and moderators here on the forums. All peer workers have our own experiences of MH challenges. Let me know if you have any questions by tagging me with "@" then my name 😊 I hope you find our forum a supportive community for you! 

Secondly, thank you for sharing such a strong and powerful story. it sounds like things were so difficult for you, but with the help from your family, you've been able to start a recovery journey. And now, you want to help others too ❤️ 

Sounds like you'll fit right in here on the forums by offering your story to others ❤️ 

Thank you so much for the warm welcome. @TuxedoCat I am so very fortunate for my loved ones it is a blessing. Well. To be my honest self the feelings that is causing anxiety beyond control humilation bullied singled out ashamed anger loss all of em. Is that I'm here today because my co worker just blew away a year with intimidation harassment and by manipulating a resident to bully in front of 20 people. I'm good with sobriety. I have no desire to withdraw ever again. I'm processing the pity I feel. For me and let's call her "Eden" cos that's one of the principals she shamefully neglects at work.

Hi there. 

This is something I too am struggling with at the moment. I feel I can't talk about my issues which in turn makes it harder to deal with. I never thought I'd be where I am today. Crying like a baby over a substance. Maybe we could be each other cheerleaders. I've done it before but not with what I'm using at the moment. 

I too have a OTC/prescription addiction, I've been taking my daughter's prescribed medication and feel guilty and horrible for it as she is autistic/ADHD and needs her medication.. but everytime things get to much and my physical symptoms of my anxiety, depression,ASD or ADHD or whatever the hell gets to much and I don't have the flexibility of deligating my responsibilities I'm straight back to taking it again.. I just wish I could do everyday tasks without feeling tired or snapping at my children or whoever is around me at the time. I also love the "highs"/detachment from drugs which makes it hard.

heya @Staceace111 thank you for sharing your story with us here. It's so brave to be vulnerable and share your experience of addiction. It sounds like your addiction has been a way for you to cope with the stress or having family, but I also hear that you're feeling guilty for what's happening. 

And also hey @Noo134 also thank you for sharing today. I sense a lot of shame when you talk about "crying over a substance". Addiction is a really powerful thing that can be difficult to cope with. 

In both of your posts, I also hear hope for wanting to cope without using your daughters medication or substances. 

Have either of you spoken to anyone about this? Or @Noo134, how did you stop with the other substance?

Here at the forums, we want you to share your story and also work with you to start a recovery journey. Don't forget to read the forum guidelines for things to keep in mind when posting about addiction. I'd love to hear what you've tried so far or how we can support you ❤️ 

@TuxedoCat I shared with my psych about what was going on and they prescribed a antidepressant that has stimulating effects. It's worked to some degree and is definitely the best antidepressant I've ever been on as it definitely addresses some of the physical symptoms and motivation/brain fog I have but I still require a nap during the day and struggle to balance my responsibilities and feel tired quiet alot. But then I struggle to sleep at night too. I haven't told anyone because I don't want to be given something which counteracts the small improvements the stimulating antidepressants have made and I don't want the groggy hang over feelin' the next day. Other than that that's my experience so far. Hope this is better in terms of following the guidelines 👍 

@Staceace111 thank you for sharing ❤️ It sounds like you're doing so much to cope with the situation in a safe and manageable way, and that's a big step. But there's understandably some fear and guilt ❤️ 

I thought I'd share The Alcohol and Drug Foundation has a free and confidential hotline, has sheets on reducing harm and some other resources

Take care, and welcome again ❤️ 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance