Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Tchef
Contributor

Feeling guilty

Hi all
I'm bipolar diagnosed 2years ago anyway with the meds I'm on apart from the physical side effects, counselling mentally I'm doing ok but I can't stop having a feeling guilty and I know I haven't done anything to feel guilty about. I feel like a bad person when I know I shouldn't. I volunteer at salvos 10 hours a week, I'm trying to give back to the community for the help and support I got.
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Feeling guilty

Hi @Tchef that doesn't sound nice to be feeling guilty. Sounds like you do a lot of good in your community and have a lot to feel proud about. 🙂

Are there other things that you also feel proud about?

Hi @whitedog
Cheers for your kind words.
I got two dogs who are my kids and I do have a positive outlook for the future and things are going ok, again I know there's no reason for me to feel guilty which is the frustrating part.

@Tchef it's very annoying when our thoughts focus on one issue - that we may not have or don't deserve to have these negative thoughts.
Are you able to try and tell these thoughts to go away? (Use whatever type of language you like). It's not easy. I think it needs to be practiced many times every day.
What sort of dogs do you have? I have a Labrador and a maltese/shitzu. 2 very different dogs, in size and personalities.
Former-Member
Not applicable

@ @Tchef You sound like a wonderful human being.  If your volunteering you are going above and beyond being a good person.  Guilt is an emotion that is very common in people who have mood disorders.  I have schizoaffective disorder and when my first symptoms emerged in my early twenties OVERWHELMING guilt .along with my MI.  It passed with proper medication and psychotherapy.  I pray that you find peace from your guilt through medication and therapy.

Hi @Tchef @Former-Member is right, guilt comes with mood disorders. Also can comes from upbringing, not enough praise compared to criticism. Imo.

I believe you should ask yourself if your guilt is justified. If you do more than average community work then you have no reason to feel guilty.

Lower your guilt by reducing voluntary hours and introduce activities of distraction like a hobby, sport or passion.

hello, as the others have said and which you also know, you have nothign to be guilty about. 

It's hard to change though, and mental illness can confuse things. but over time, by showing yourself that you are doing an amazing job by volunteering so many hours of your week, and just living life with distractions like a hobby or keeping your animals (I have animals too!), you will feel less guilty.

it can take time though, so please keep talking to us! 

Hi @utopia
That's the problem I can't block it, today I feel good, even though I'm getting more stable but things change day to day, hour to hour.
Axel is a lab and Maggie is a greyhound X bullmastiff.
Maggie is a real princess she barely tolerates Axel
Haha

@Tchef. Maggie sounds gorgeous. My friend has a greyhound - an ex racer - who thinks sheis a real Lady & expects to be ttreated as such.
My Labrador is black. What is Axel? Great name by the way.
Yes sometimes we can have good days - other days it's hard to find 5 minutes of good. Part of this roller coaster of a ride that is mental illness.
But glad to hear today is easier for you.

Hey @utopia
Axel big golden boof head but he is my boy haha. Soon I'll be going to the Bendigo RSPCA to adopt another kid. I live on 4.5 acres so I have the space plus my two are 10yrs and the they will help me train the pup
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance