Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

BlueBay
Senior Contributor

Dissociation

Hi everyone @BPDSurvivor @Emelia8 @Shaz51 @cloudcore @oceangirl @Flying_Hams and others reading 

Can anyone relate to this? - you're sitting down watching tv but all of a sudden you're in a complete daze, starring into space with no real idea of what's going on around you. 
well - that's me lately. More and more often this is happening. 
so is it dissociation?  If so what do I do? Is it bad? 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Dissociation

Hi @BlueBay ,

I have felt the same way as you have described here. I'm not sure whether I'd jump to say it is dissociation. I remember I used to sit at the dinner table and just drift off, only because I felt safer in a different world. I'd allow my brain to switch off from what was happening so that I didn't have to "feel". 

I was going through a highly challenging and stressful time. Drifting off and disconnecting with the present world was a coping mechanism I developed. I never focused on this as a key "problem". Over time, with therapy and training in mindfulness, I no longer felt I needed to drift off into my "safe space".

I guess I'm sharing this not to disregard your thoughts, but simply to share my experiences. If you creel concerned about it, it would be good to raise it with your pdoc or gp.

What do you think @BlueBay ? Do you find it really troubles you?

Hugs, BPDSurvivor

Thanks @BPDSurvivor  i do get what you're saying. 
I'm not greatly concerned just wondering. I have a session with my psychologist tomorrow so I'll mention it to her. 

I do remember at one previous psychology session I did dissociate and it was terrible. It's a bit like that. Yes I'll chat to her tomorrow . 

Good idea @BlueBay .

I found that the more stressed I was, the more I "disconnected". Disconnecting and "not feeling" was a way to protect myself and to give myself a break from the "noise" of the world.

Once I became less stressed, less anxious, I felt safe to re-connect with the world, so the dissociation ceased.

Hope you session goes well tomorrow.

hmm could be Im not sure but have had times where I detach from people or surroundings particular if triggored or shutting down emotionally

Yes, I can truly identify with this disassociation issue.  No surprise as I am living alone, no social contact, isolation.

Hey @BlueBay 

My understandning of dissociatiion is that like most things it is a spectrum. So one end of the spectrum is things like day dreaming and similar to what you describe and the other end of the spectrum is feeling completely disconnected from ourselves/the world. 

When you ask 'is it bad?' I have quite a lot of thoughts on this so bare with me. haha! 

As I said, dissociation is a spectrum. It is totally normal to do it and most people engage it in it somewhat. Dissociation is also something our brain does to protect us when we are perhaps feeling triggered or overwhelmed. So in my opinion, it is actually a really great way my brain looks after me. 

That is not to say that it can't be unpleasant and scary at times. Which can make it *feel* bad. And sometimes it can put us in risky situuations. So I find when I am dissociating in a way that makes me feel uncomfortable or I dont like I use grounding exercises to try to get back into my body and the present moment. 

Hope this long winded post helps some! 
- periwinklepixie 

Flax
Senior Contributor

1. no-one on this website is clinically trained in MH - think psychiarists and or postdoc psychologists.

2. Dr. Goolge will give you lots of fearful things about symptoms

What you describe as 'dissocation' is quite a different beast clinically, and requires professional evaluation.

Actually I went through the vague symptoms you mention when I was a hormonal teenager.  Just wigging out, and not aware of what was going on around me. Lasted a few years alcohol and weed didn't help.

If its happening regularly or more often, then maybe its just growing pains mixed with party drugs...but if it interferes with life, then seek professional help.

You also dont mention alcolhol or drug intake that can cause similar symptoms of disconnectedness or dissociation.

In response to your question, what should I do? - go see a GP

Is it bad? - no-one on this forum is qualified to answer! Could be a bit of teen angst, maybe alcohol/drug induced, nor forgetting PSTD...a long list. Best let a pro sort it out if your concerned.

Bottom line - if it gets worse and affects your quality of life, go see a GP.

@Flax 

No alcohol or (drugs ever )

ptsd - yes 

I will see my GP today 

even though I know people on here are not trained professionals I wrote this to see if others can relate. 
not looking for a diagnosis from anyone 

and just saying I've never had party drugs 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance