Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Sunder
Casual Contributor

Daughter undiagnosed and on edge

Hi All, New to this space after recently reaching breaking point with our 27yrold daughter who as a single mum with what we believe to be BPD and addiction is raising her 2 & 4 yr old as a single mum.

Hoping to find others who understand the journey 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Daughter undiagnosed and on edge

Hi, @Sunder 

Welcome to the Forums. I'm just wondering if you could elaborate on "breaking point"... 

Is it your daughter's not receiving appropriate help?.. is it her behaviour in general?.. is it her parenting?.. is it your own expectations not being gratified?..

Kind regards.

Thanks for your reply. 

My only hope Is that my daughter and grandchildren can be happy and healthy. My daughter is a wonderful mother and an amazing person who until recently has not been ready to seek help.

Our ( and I mean for us all )  breaking point was recently when she spiralled downwards into what I can only explain as a physicosis. 

She was struggling to complete a sentence, make a decision, feed or dress her children and was a blubbering mess.

A member of the public had called the police in concern. 

Having been there myself, let me assure you that having police enter the scene does not in itself constitute "breaking point".

The rest of it, though, @Sunder , sounds serious. Don't know if it's psychotic, but does sound a lot like breakdown...

Yes, your daughter needs help and support. Is it possible you can take the grandchildren into your care a little while so that your daughter can focus on getting the help she needs?. Some of which may be to rest...

Hi @Kyle1  yes absolutely that was the first thing we did. They stayed with us for a week until she wanted to head back home with the intention to seek further professional help. Despite our best efforts in researching and reaching out to support networks we were unable to secure any appointments for her in that time. 

By the time she left she was much stronger and was far better. We supported her through withdrawals which was also exasperating her situation.I don't for one minute believe that having police involved equals breaking point. They have been very helpful and I hope continue to be. She was woken by their involvement and the severity of her situation after not realising others could see her pain.

She had withdrawn from us for the past month and cut off all her family and sunk into a dark place in that time. She now realises she can't go back there. We all are trying to work together In understanding the best way forward and how to support her on the journey ahead.

@Kyle1 I hope you are finding the support needed. Any tips or direction will be gratefully received

It is so hard for us as a family to understand her thoughts and we simply want to learn to help her in the best way possible. It is truly like walking on eggshells everyday.

What appear to us as very strange things trigger her to explode and we can't bear to see how much she's hurting. There is clearly so much for us to learn. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance