Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Amother
Casual Contributor

Damned if you do

Just so over it right now!
Tried and trying so hard to support my daughter BPD to help herself into some kind of functioning state and I'm running out of puff.
So tired ... Working ..... supporting many people in my life , but this time I need some support.
Always afraid of coming home to find another Macabre suicide attempt .
I'm a loving supportive mum but I'm tired .....tired of coaching , training , picking up clothes , paying for everything for my adult daughter , tired of being the emotional support , the adviser , the carer of everyone. No one can really know the difficulties we all face .... But I just need a rest from this .
I'm trying to keep it all together but I'm exhausted 😒
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Damned if you do

Yes @AmotherI feel there are a lot of double binds we face as a mother.

If you care and do things for them are you taking away the need for them to dig deep into their own being and discover their own strength? 

Living with the fear of suicide is immense.

Is your daughter in touch with a support team or doing study or anything outside the home?

Hi @Amother

I can relate to much of what you are going through .... although the biggest pressures in my family dynamic have not come directly from my kids, the snowball effect has turned the whole lot into an immense juggling act, trying to keep us all treading water and nobody going under .... and yes .... as the mother most of the pressure load is on me as the centre cog.

As a carer it is imperative for you to be able to recharge your own batteries.  None of us are super-human.  Being able to both self-care and receive care from others can seem impossible when the focus becomes surviving each day as it arises .... particularly not knowing which particular brand of chaos is going to arrive with it.

Connectivity is so important.  I am glad you have reached out to the forums.  As you explore here you will be able to see how much you are not alone in terms of what you are experiencing.  Please keep posting.  Just hearing from others who care and understand is part of the care and support you need to keep yourself well.

Try to make a space in your day where you do something just for you .... whether it's a short walk somewhere .... an uninterrupted coffee .... a crossword puzzle ... music and headphones.  Even a ten minute interval can break the build-up of tension and the feelings of despair.

Please seek out carer support services in your state.  If you contact the SANE helpline - 1800 18 7263 - during business hours, they can help you wth that.  There is also a chat service above (computer or iPad - elsewhere if you're using a phone).  They will have suggestions for your daughter to find connection too.

Things don't remain the same indefinitely.  Keep swimming .... but float a little when you're really tired, so you can swim again ....

🐠🐠🐠 .... 🌷💕

Thanks for support and info 🌻

Hi @Amother

Under the What's new: services, research, technologies discussion topic @Brodie has posted an article titled 

"Borderline Personality Disorder tips for family and friends" .... if you want to take a look ....

🌷💜

Hi @Amother

Addiitonal to @Faith-and-Hope 's recommendation, I have just posted some new content about BPD here

I hope it's helpful.

Nik

thanks so much for this:

my daughter is really struggling with her diagnosis - in much denial. I have to go along with it otherwise things will flare up. She is continuing to see her therapist so i hope they can work together for steps forward. 

I do feel like i am in an unknown place ......what is this place, i havent been here before. I am about to go on a holiday which is filled with mixed emotion. Excited and terrified all in one. I hope the supports that have been put in place are used and prevent a catastrophe in my absence.

I will chat with Carers Vic on my return so that i may get some strategies to help her deal with this disorder.

thanks again x

Take care @Amother ..... and try to relax on your holiday ..... we all need to keep recharging our own batteries too .....

🌷💜

Living with fear of suicide is like being sucked into a continual vortex of despair. I have lived with this fear and felt like a nervous, reactive rabbit all day every day, until exhaustion finally took over. Then I became a shell, with no feeling. Is this what your daughter wants for you? What can you do to prevent this? Its essential to take care of yourself first and foremost.

Thanks @SunnyDay
I love her and my heart breaks for her.
This must in some part be my fault.
I guess she didn't ask to be born , that was my choice . She doesn't want this ... so I feel so bad for her. I wish I could turn back time and see when this started and fix it.
At least she wants to work on it so that's positive 💜
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance