Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

LSeven
Contributor

Counsellor

If you feel you're not getting the right advice, what do you do?

3 REPLIES 3
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Counsellor

Hi @LSeven , i've found the forums a helpful place to come to sometimes for some sorts of advice. In the past when i had a gp i could trust i would go there and i have often written emails to my psychologist... I research as well and try to read up information about topics/things as well to see if it matches up against waht im being told, though at times i just don't have the energy for this... and just duck my head and apretend nothing else exists...
but it is ok to question or double check things that you're not sure of.
hope you're ok

@LSeven, Hi there just seeing your post now and thought I'd reply. 

If you are not happy with the way your counselling sessions are going, remember you are not obligated to stay with the same counsellor. You can change and find one hopefully that suits you. There are quite a few of us here on the forums that have had more than one counsellor/therapist because previous ones didn't suit (myself included). I am still on the hunt myself actually. I used up my 10 sessions with a psychologist and upon reflection, it wasn't a good experience, as she would often cry with me (I think that blurs patient/therapist boundaries a bit). 

Is there something in particular you are looking for from a counsellor? 

Hi there @LSeven,

If you feel the advice you're receiving is not sitting right with you, it's best to be transparent with the person you're talking with and voice your concerns. If the person you're communicating with is a mental health or other professional, you can also request to see another one. Finding someone that you can connect with and receive guidance from that is congruent with your needs and fosters your personal growth is important, so it's well worth searching for it. If it's in relation to a psychologist, you can search the Australian Psychological Society (APS) website and plug in what areas of expertise you're after by clicking here. I hope you find this information helpful. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance