Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

jem80
Community Guide

Control

Sometimes I feel like others are trying to control what I do. I know they mean well but it is frustrating that they can’t cope with me changing my routine which I don’t have problems with. I know that in life it is not the same everyday but I’m expected to do the same thing every day and week and it gets tiring.

7 REPLIES 7
BryanaCamp
Senior Contributor

Re: Control

hi @jem80 

does your daily routine involve children, do you have kids?

does your daily routine take place in the workplace, are you working?

It's good to be spontaneous and have variety but some things benefit from predictability and structure such as kids daily routines and the workplace.

Gazza75
Senior Contributor

@jem80- I know the feeling and its frustrating.  What are the expectations you feel burdened with?

I don't have children and I break up my week between work and external community activities. However when I do an activity or work that falls on a day when I normally go out with someone, they aren't able to cope with change. Whilst I understand that they want to make sure that I am fine, I feel that there is no flexibility. It makes it difficult for me and I'm then made to feel guilty because I can't met them on that set particular day and not another day or time.

The expectations that I feel burdened with is that I have to conform to someone else's time table and routine and there is no flexibility for change. I have offered another day and time but they are not interested and then I am made to feel guilty because I can't meet that specific day and time. It's tiring.

Control is tricky as there are lots of ways people can use it to get things going their own way.

I had kids and taught so was very disciplined about routine for a while ....

Its pretty normal not to want to be controlled. @jem80 

I have allowed people to control me a lot, I am finally moving away from that, but find an awful lot of people will try and put one over you just to see if they can ... I find it tiring too.

Its fair to have some scope for spontaneity in life.

Smiley Happy

This must be really frustrating for you @jem80, especially when you feel you are not being heard. Have you shared how it makes you feel when they are not interested in meeting on another day or time?

Some people relish in having a routine and do not understand when others make a change just for one day or one week. In some circumstances this can be due to differing expectations of the relationship or level of desired social contact, but you deserve to be heard and supported. Hope you find something that works for you both.

@jem80- It sounds like they are being rather inflexible and not very thoughtful of you.  If it's something that happens all the time I'd be speaking up about it and telling them how you feel.  It sounds like you have been flexible and accomodating to them and doing the right thing.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance