Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

nashy
Senior Contributor

Celebrating NAIDOC Week

It’s NAIDOC week 🖤💛❤️ This year, the theme is Voice. Treaty. Truth. These three elements were highlighted in the 2017 Uluru Statement of the Heart.

Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 12.55.26 pm.png

Australia is one of the few liberal democracies around the world which still does not have a treaty or treaties or some other kind of formal acknowledgement or arrangement with its Indigenous people. In order for genuine reconciliation, an acknowledgement for the truth to be voiced in treaty is essential for our country to move forward together.

In this thread and within our forums we want to embrace Australia’s shared history, understand how it’s still having an impact today and imagine new ways to live together more respectfully.

We’d definitely encourage any forum members who identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander to share any insight or stories if they feel comfortable doing so Heart

To kick off the NAIDOC Week celebration I would like to share this wonderful video @eth brought to my attention.

"Because of her we can" ....... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fVGu-ePSts

Can’t wait to see what others share in celebration of this wonderful week Smiley Happy

NAIDOC Week is a celebration of the history, culture and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and this year's theme is "Because of her, we can". It's dedicated to all of the Indigenous women who've made a difference and inspired others. So, we decided to ask some school ...
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Celebrating NAIDOC Week

@nashy @eth 

There was a great documentary on SBS on Sunday night about Gurrumul Yunupingu.  You can watch it on SBS on demand.  

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/1555878467516/gurrumul

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/channels/nitv

You probably need to register to watch the video, but, it is free.  Hope you like it. 

It's a real shame/embarassment we have no treaty or recognition in place for the traditional owners of this country.

I totally agree with you about a treaty now @nashy @Gazza75 .  And acknowledgment of true history, and wider spread introduction of local languages into schools.  "Closing the gap" doesn't seem to be happening yet.   Shame on Australian governments.

Another one of the things I see is so many people yet to find their country, where their families originate.   And don't start me on the damage mining and fracking are doing, particularly to ground water.  Water is life.  

I grew up with a father who worked in 1st Nations education until he passed away.  His main activity was opening schools (non-mission) and training 1st Nations educators to write their own curriculum.  As a result I often participated in dance at community events in remote areas whilst being cared for by community families.  It was very formulative for me, to say the least.  My depth of concern for the above issues is immeasurable as a result.  

@eth, it's so sad what has been done to the country in the last 220 years or whatever.  When you consider that indigenous culture took care of the land for vast ammounts of time, maintaining a balance with the land and nature no matter the conditions, being able to survive, prosper and have a rich culture. 

It's gut wrenching that we are selling land and minerals that we don't own to overseas interests.  It's one thing to do it on a smaller scale for our own use, but, when most of it is being shipped out for next to nothiing.  I can't see other countries reciprocating this behaviour.  Its just senseless.  Water is definitely the life blood of our nation and we are putting it at extreme peril in a lot of places.  Needlessly so.

It sounds like you had a wonderful upbringing and a special relationship that not many people would experience with the 1st nation people.  Not ony with them, but, also with the land as I'm sure you learnt a deeper understanding than most of us can comprehend or imagine.  

I'm glad that the mining boom seems to be slowing or mostly over in a lot of places.  We should focus more on tourism and other ways to survive as a nation.  It would be nice to think we could come together and apologise for what we have done not just to the people, but, also the land.

@Gazza75  Most of the Northern Territory is still under 'exploration license' and fracking is accelerating all over the place there.  Out of sight and out of mind.  Plus there are new coal mines still opening all over the large valley my current hometown is in.  Lots of propoganda to the contrary in the media tho'.  Not to mention the huge projects happening in Queensland currently.  There are some longstanding legal battles of Aboriginal custodians against the international companies happening, but it's a David and Golliath situation.  

I totally agree about finding other ways forward as a nation.  Particularly in renewable energy sources.

Sorry if I'm raving here - another area where I support Aboriginal activists as much as I can.  e.g. the SEED indigenous youth climate network.

Wanted to share this in celebration. I think it’s pretty awesome. 

https://youtu.be/afQcYH2nwoM

Mar/re/ooh/na; verb; Let's Dance In Yolngu culture dance plays a pivotal role. There's ceremonial dance, celebratory dance and then there's Marryuna; to dance with no shame, to freestyle for the sheer elation of dancing. Marryuna is the second highly anticipated single from Arnhem Land's ascending

I also wanted to share this page from NAIDOC. I had always understood that there was naidoc week about Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islanders. However I had thought it was more about looking at issues that impact them. It was only yesterday that I learned it is about celebrating their achievements. It explains where NAIDOC originated as well. 

https://www.naidoc.org.au/about/naidoc-week

this is an excerpt from the page 

"NAIDOC Week celebrations are held across Australia each July to celebrate the history, culture and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. NAIDOC is celebrated not only in Indigenous communities, but by Australians from all walks of life. The week is a great opportunity to participate in a range of activities and to support your local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community.

NAIDOC originally stood for ‘National Aborigines and Islanders Day Observance Committee’. This committee was once responsible for organising national activities during NAIDOC Week and its acronym has since become the name of the week itself. Find out more about the origins and history of NAIDOC Week."

Just tagging @utopia , @Appleblossom , @Owlunar if you up to sharing anything as I know you all have passions and interests related to this. 

Also asking anyone to join in as well 😊

Thanks for sharing this @Teej 

I am interested and it might be a bit late for me this year I really wish my son could have lived long enough to have had the proof of his aboriginal heritage and that together we could have found out more about his back ground and his own people to have written his own story - he was distressed a lot about his being adopted and obviously of mixed race - something that has never bothered me 

When my plane landed at Maroochydore the captain thanked us for flying Virgin Australia and then mentioned NAIDOC  and the local peoople of First Nation before we got off the plane - this was poignant - it's only a few days until the anniversary of his death

I hope that whatever happens to someone who has died he knows the truth now and although there is still a lot of racism in this country things are better than they were - I will be glad to read that link and hopefully be able to get involved next year - there an aboriginal community near where I live - it would be good to get in touch with them - 

It's my opinion that the Europeans and now other cultures are here now and the First Nation People need to be included in our multi-cultural society - there will always be dissension peoples but we can always hope that understanding will increase as will tolerance

Dec

@nashy I am glad you raised this on the forums.

Smiley Happy

@Gazza75 

Smiley Happy

@eth and I have posted about our feelings about the level of struggle many koori or indigenous people endure.  My dad introduced me to his Aboriginal mates/brothers under the same roof, and my first friend was Aboriginal.  SO my feelings go deep.

Smiley SadSmiley MadHeart

@Teej I like how you draw out the celebration aspect of NAIDOC week.  Even tho my main tele stations were sbs and nitv, I had not heard of NAIDOC week til about 15 years ago and it was at church.  I loved the didge, clap sticks and dance.  It reminded me of liturgical dace when I was young and impressionable.  It was part of the reason I stayed with my church so long because they had such a rich NIADOC celebration.

Tonight someone brought up NAIDOC week when I pointed out the indigenous paperbark tree, historically used for painting. Last night a lady showed me her possum cloak art on her lounge wall.

For some the circumstances are still dire, but change is happening slowly.

Heart

Thanks everyone for your stories and insights, really beautiful. @Appleblossom  @Owlunar @Teej  @eth @Gazza75 

particularly liked this notion @Gazza75 - "it's so sad what has been done to the country in the last 220 years or whatever.  When you consider that indigenous culture took care of the land for vast ammounts of time..So very true.

Just another little share below to add to the celebrations, these kids! My heart 🖤💛❤️

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/at-this-school-indigenous-students-are-teaching-classmates-about-their-c...

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance