Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

scousejesus
Contributor

COMING TO THE END

I was acutely Psychotic and sectioned but that was over 2 years ago. I am now physically healthy (albeit slightly overweight), exercise, eat and sleep well etc etc. I have been completely weaned off my medication, no longer/drink/smoke or take illicit drugs (did have 2 small relapses during recovery - I am human !), working full time and coping well. I am now able to read and my brain seems to be working well, I am no longer a Zombie like I once was on medication. My wife and son tell me i'm back to my old self.

Why then does my Psychiatrist still want to see me every 2 months and told me to get a new lifetime referral from my GP ? She must know what she is talking about she is earning around $360 an hour. The only banana skin I can see is that I went from having no belief in God, to totally believing in God (I never had hallucinations or heard voices). God "took over" people when I talked to them. I then believed I was Jesus 2 but after several days of anti-psychotic medication became a non-believer and ordinary human being again, which I fully accept - I don't want to be Jesus again. My underlying problem - an under active thyroid gland is now being treated daily. What can I expect ? am I going to get depressed ? because I am no longer an omnipresent, immortal and all powerful (? ficticious) being ? Any thoughts ? Am I cured ? when does the recovery process end ? with physical injury the answers are easier !

9 REPLIES 9

Re: COMING TO THE END

I don’t know how to respond to your post @scousejesus ..... other than to tell you that I am listening and interested.....

I am a believer in God, and my involvement with the forums has come through the Carers side ..... but I have felt privileged to learn so much from the generous nature of the Lived Experience people on this side of the forums about what it is like to be the one with the mi challenges, rather than the one living with mi in a support role.

Something else that has come into sharp focus is that the scales can tip, up-end, and carers become mi-challenged themselves, and previously unwell people recover .... or recover enough equilibrium to live so-called “normal” lives ..... whatever that might be .....

Yes, with physical injuries the answers are easier .....

Dear @Faith-and-Hope thanks for writing and I feel as not knowing how to respond as you are. But......maybe ....I have one idea.....

@scousejesus thanks for writing 

There is a wonderful advocate called Peter Bullimore who has given everything bad up and flies around the world talking about how to dialogue with people who suffer MI which may give you some answers ?

from PeppiPatty 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @scousejesus

Firstly well done to you for adopting a healthy lifestyle that has aided in your recovery! That takes strength and determination. I also have an underactive thyroid which can be successfully controlled under medical treatment.

What can you expect now? Like any physical illness, mental illness can go into a remission like state - but relapses can happen. I stress "can happen" - "not will happen". No one can say for sure. The healthy lifestyle you are undertaking now will give you the best chances to remaining stabilised - but I would say your psychiatrist just wants to keeps an eye on your condition to be on the safe side.

I have found excess ongoing stress and worry, lack of sleep etc can cause a relapse in myself. Avoid this where possible and keep the outlook positive for the best chance to stay in the good place you are now. Wishing you the very best 

Yes that can be true that physical symptoms are easier once the health profession finally figures thm out.

The history of medicine is full of steps forward and backwards like the personal history of many people.

The history of psychiatry has its meanders and offshoots.

Healthy living is a win win.  Trying to follow good role models also helps, but I hear you. Too much responsibility is hard and so we keep needing to find that balance of purpose and realty checking.

not my monkeys not my circus.

A saying I learned or muddled up from @Faith-and-Hope

Take care @scousejesus

@Faith-and-Hope  Thank you for your imput. It was amazing when over a weekend my life experiences all came together and I KNEW 100% that there was a God and everything made sense (like St Paul).---------------- Sadly it was Psychosis. I do envy anyone (including you) who has a genuine belief and "have been on both sides of the fence" ! I will never take my health (physical and mental) for granted and realize there but the grace of God go I (I perused the bible a lot when i was ill) ! Regards @scousejesus

Yes @scousejesus ....I think that quote sums it up rather nicely .....

“There, but for the grace of God, go I ..... “

@Former-MemberThank's for he advice as I thought there are no answers. I have a good understanding of relapse but sometimes stress creeps up on me and I only become aware when I have engaged in some negative/destructive behaviour which is short lived and I am in control again. luckily this happens only rarely and I am going through a particularly sressful life phase at the moment - returning back to work.

Take care @scousejesus

@PeppiPatty I really like your ideas about connecting with Peter Bullimore and his workshops. I have had the pleasure to attend quite a few and am connected with Peter on Facebook. He is a very knowledgeable man and I really am appreciative of the way he educates mental health service providers on ways to open up dialogue channels with people living with psychosis.

Thanks @Queenie

That means a lot to me......

Sorry, I'm being pushed into taking Mr g to the pharmacy and getting stuff done..without me having my first coffee........

The thing that impresses me with Peter Bullimore is that he,

as well as calling me a complete breath of fresh air.....

Often spoke that it isn't menal health issues that other were dealing with but things like:

mourning.

family stresses

So, everyone can dismiss ...oh, THAT person has times of mental ill health and other Unmet needs.......

they forget that WE may just need some grieving councelling. 

THEY are so busy running around intellectualizing the term MENTAL HEALTH...... they forget WE or YOU THEM or US are seperate individuals. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance