Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Goldendog
New Contributor

Brother distressed

Content/trigger warning
My brother has been changing medications and he has distressed symptoms nearly everyday.  We can't tell him to go back on the medication he was stable on for nearly 30 years because he doesn't want to have blood tests anymore.  Some days he relies on the NDIS to be with him but other days he needs family.  I am concerned that one day I will have to 'look after' him on my own as my parents are elderly and I have to work full time.  I also have my own mental condition to manage.  We have the same condition except I am stable.  How can I manage this into the future?
1 REPLY 1
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Brother distressed

Hi @Goldendog 

We are lucky we have NDIS in australia.

The family need to draw on ndis as much as they can to assist your brothers independence.

Your family may need to see a few companies or case managers. Ndis has bureacracy as well.

So i hope your parents will look to tge future and assist your brother to find shared accomodation in a supported house that has at least one carer 24/7.

It is a lot for you to take.

Glad you are smart enough to plan forward

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance