Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

CJones
New Contributor

Bipolar vs. BPD

I have been diagnosed with bipolar. I follow all of the advice from my doctors, I'm taking the pills and trying to do the work but things are not going well. I've been doing lots of research on my illness trying to find out new management strategies and listening to the lived experiences of people who have the same problems I do. The more I read, the more I think I may have been misdiagnosed. I think I may have BPD not bipolar but I am not sure how to bring this up with my psychiatric Dr. Has anyone here had a misdiagnosis? How did you handle getting a correct one from your Dr? I'm worried when I bring this up with mine they'll think I'm just being manic.

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Bipolar vs. BPD

I think it's important to keep diagnosing as you go along. Sounds like what Socates would call an examined life. Also people evolve in different ways and it's good to allow for that. I wouldn't worry about the psych's feelings. I'm sure they've heard of BPD before somewherre along the line. If they haven't they'll be very grateful to find out about it.

Hi and welcome, @CJones , it's good you've joined. 

I'm sorry things aren't going well. 

I'm wondering if you can bring it up by saying something like, "I've been thinking over a while now that I might have BPD. These are the reasons why (you can list them on a piece of paper that you bring in with you)."

That way you're not saying outright to the psych "You were wrong", and you're also making the point that it's not just a manic thing, you've done the research. Later down the track, if the psych agrees to the BPD diagnosis, you could ask about the bipolar gettting taken off your diagnosis.

If your psych doesn't agree to the BPD, you could maybe seek a second opinion? (Although it's difficult to get in with other psychologists and psychiatrists at the moment due to Covid high demand)

Please note that I haven't done this process regarding a misdiagnosis myself, it's just what I would do. 

A handy forum tip is if you type @ and click on a name in the drop-down box, that person will get a notifiation and won't miss your reply. 

I hope you find the forums helpful. 

@CJones 

Welcome to the forums.  Hope you find them useful.

It is my uinderstanding that many diagnoses change over time in mental health.  Some doctors call it a "working diagnosis".  DOnt be too frightened of the psych's response, although I do know they can be intimidating after some of the traumas people go through in the system.

Take care of you.

Smiley Happy

I had to laugh out loud at @wellwellwellnez  response. I thought it very polite and apt.

I was actually flirting with Bipolar II and BPD until I found AVPD, my current true love as far as mental health lenses go. I'm curious about what it was for you that making you reassess your understandings. Those are always interesting moments.

And thanks for getting my joke @Appleblossom . I was worried it would be intrepreted as some sort of condition that I don't know the name for.

I have been misdiagnosed and now I just call it my illness or an episode. I was told I had a mood disorder for years and when I started doing research I too was confused with not feeling like that diagnosis quite fit. The thing I felt useful was listing the symptoms and behaviours that were relevant to me and trying to work with that. Don't be afraid to speak up and explain how it is for you. I was labelled manic when listening to music and dancing or tapping etc when it was actually a coping mechanism and excuse for me to move my body without feeling silly cause that helped with soothing. When I finally got the correct diagnosis not all the listed symptoms were relevant. Just remember we are all unique and while boxes help, there are so many of the symptoms that crossover. Hope this helps.

Hi @CJones !

Can ABSOLUTELY relate. I took bipolar meds for 10 years before I was told "You don't have bipolar - you don't need this medication". From there, I was taken off the meds.

So... you're probably thinking, What's the diff between bipolar and BPD?

I am speaking as someone with BPD and there are stark differences.

1. Medication is usually required as part of bipolar treatment, whereas medication has little to no effect on BPD itself. 
2. BPD treatment involves long term psychotherapy to change the neural pathways that have formed in the brain due to years of repeating unhelpful habits.

3. BPD is HEAVILY reliant on environmental factors. If the general environment is 'good', a borderline's mood is 'good'. If something 'bad' has happened in the environment, then a borderline's mood is 'bad'.

4. A borderline's mood can change many times in the space of an hour (up, down, down, up); while for a person with bipolar, their manic and depressive episodes last weeks on end.

These are probably the main differences. I'm not a doctor, I am an expert by experience.

BPD can't be 'treated' by medication. It is a slow moving illness and hence needs long term therapy. There are some psychiatrists who don't even acknowledge the existence of BPD. 

You could always ask for a second opinion, particularly if you are not finding the medication helping your general mood at all.

Remember if your moods change drastically within a day, you are looking at more BPD.

However, some ppl have both conditions. As I said, I'm not a doctor, but I've been through the same thing as you.

It was my constant appearances at the emergency department for self harm that made it very clear it was not bipolar. It was the hospital that first diagnosed me with BPD. It was also the hospital that conducted a med review to realise I didn't need all those mood stabilisers I was being prescribed (phew!!! Because I gained so much weight from taking them!)

Hope this helps a little.

Let me know if you have any other questions about BPD.

BPDSurvivor

Hi @CJones just want to welcome you to the forums.

Diagnoses can be a bit fraught imo. I was misdiagnosed for 30 years, but when someone eventually asked the right questions and stated something different, it was a shock. It took a few years for me to fully accept but eventually helped me make sense of my experiences. It's a double edge sword because I think when someone, however well qualified, tries to put you in a box and it doesn't fit, it can be really confusing. Things can evolve too. I love what @wellwellwellnez said about the examined life. You have insights into your experience that no one else every will.

Hello @NatureLover @Appleblossom @BPDSurvivor 

Welcome @Jorge I don't think our paths have crossed.

How are things @CJones ? I hope we haven't overwhelmed you.

Hi @frog @Jorge @wellwellwellnez @Appleblossom 

I was diagnosed with both SZA: Bipolar type and BPD. There is a lot of overlap with me, but the critical difference is that bipolar affects me seasonally, whereas BPD is very much case by case. Usually, there is a pattern in the lows and highs, and we can track when I will be manic and when I am going to be depressed. At the same time, swings and roundabouts from BPD depend on the situation I find myself in. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance