Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: BPD - let's stop the stigma.

Thanks for this discussion.

Indeed my experience with having gained a BPD diagnosis (five out of nine of the symptoms was enough, I think, even though they may not include the most assumed traits) was a sudden change in attitude from mental health professionals. Not really from anywhere else, just from the very people who I needed support from. Would it be acceptable for any other patient with a 10% likelihood of not going home alive be treated as so unworthy and undeserving of treatment or even simple kindness and respect?

Perhaps just a smile would have made me feel less "empty", or broken me from dissociation and tipped me two symptoms short of BPD... it's not like we ask for much!

It's a topic I find I am very passionate about, even now after "recovery" and with the benefit of hindsight.

If anyone hears of any way that we can contrubute to the fight agains stigma within the mental health profession, please do let me know.

Take care of yourselves.

Rosy

Dear @BPDBunny @chemonro @isabella @Angel and others struggling with a BPD diagnosis

I have just been searching complex PTSD on Wikipedia, I found it helpful and it made me cry. I suggest you take a look at it - especially the differential diagnosis section. Here are two quotes

"Judith Herman has suggested that C-PTSD be used in place of BPD"

and

"In Trauma and Recovery, Herman expresses the additional concern that patients who suffer from C-PTSD frequently risk being misunderstood as inherently 'dependent', 'masochistic', or 'self-defeating', comparing this attitude to the historical misdiagnosis of female hysteria."

Judith Herman is a leading psychiatric expert on trauma. 

Kind regards,

Kristin

Hey @BPDBunny 

Haven't heard from you for a while. How are you travelling? I hope u r ok.

Kind regards,

Kristin

@kristin you just can't get away from it, can you? Seems like "woman" and "crazy" has always been a complex intersection of discrimination and prejudice? 

Her reaction was an abuse of power.
You could report her to the HCCC or equivalent in your state but yo be honest it's unlikely they will do anything regarding it.

I agree with Kenny that their personalities do vary but what really pees me off is that she was horrible to you,made you cry,and still gets paid for your session!<br>I can't think of any other profession where this would be allowed.<br><br>I don't believe that jerks should be allowed to be Psychiatrists,and frankly theirs quite a few of them,in the same way I don't believe harsh uncaring people should be allowed to be careers for disabled etc.<br>It's a sad situation that Psychiatrists are under supplied,and overpaid and it would be ideal for the Government to come up with campaigns and incentives to encourage more caring people to go into Psychiatry.<br>People with little people skills or their own predjudices,stigma and personal issues should be dismissed.<br>Of course noones perfect,but basic respect,kindness and lack of ignorance and stigma should become part of the job requirements and not just whether someone has finished a degree, as the way she spoke to you speaks volumes regarding the training that she received and/or her own inadequacies in dealing with her own inner world because for her to become tense when realising your BPD diagnosis signifies that she's unable to be objective but was being subjective and fearing or dreading your interactions with her and how they would manifest and affect her etc.<br>How can Psychiatrists like this help anybody so why are they still getting paid?its not right.<br><br>Sorry this happened to you.Please try not to take it personally which might be hard but the problems not with you.<br>

Hi Bunny

I'm rick.

Y'know I think that I've become inured to the callousness of some professionals and then I read your story and I am completely and utterly disgusted and afraid for you and others with such complex disorders.

I was myself ignored as a BPD / attention seeker for over 20 years.

It was frustrating and maddening becaue I knew something was'nt right but noone else gave a rats.

BPD is a treatable complex illness. It requires empathy compassion and knowledge to do so.

The fact that this was a hospital shrink merely proves the point that these people are not getting the training needed to be affective health care professionals.

If I was allowed on this forum to swear I would be swearing a lot right now.

This "doctor" power tripped you. She walked away with an inflated ego at the expense of your self esteem. To be honest this makes me furious.

I am in awe of the way you have expressed yourself whilst telling your tale. You obviously are an incredibly decent human to not have scratched this persons eyes out.I would have lost my temper I think.

I marvel daily at the strength that people who live with a mental illness are constantly called upon to show. And here you are another example of that.

It's hard enough just to get through the day without someone sandbagging you as well.

All I can say here is take pride in the fact that you know the condition you are dealing with. Take pity on the idiot who was reviewing you.

I don't know what else to say 

I'm  just so appalled.

Just remeber

Hope Endures

Rick

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance