Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Ina
New Contributor

BPD daughter

My daughter is in a domestic violence relationship and has tried to leave twice in the past month but keeps going back. She has 2 young sons who are being affected by this situation. 2 days ago she asked me if the boys could live with me temporarily so they are safe. Of course I was relieved and agreed. She was to pick up the kids from their father's at 5 and bring them over. She didn't pick them up and when the boy's father finally got hold of her, the boyfriend answered her phone. After a couple of minutes she told the boy's father that they would be better off with him and relinquished custody of them. She's blocked my number and I don't know what to do. My psychologist says I need to let her stand on her own 2 feet. She always relies on me for help with babysitting and money yet she has been telling me she hates me. She blames me for everything wrong in her life. Her boyfriend validates all her reasoning and tells her that mental health disorders are bullshit. He says she can make herself happy and has tried to get her to stop her medication. She has had 2 suicide attempts in the past 3 years and I'm afraid she will try again when she realises she has given up her children. Does anyone have any advice. I'm losing not only my daughter but also 2 grandsons.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: BPD daughter

Hi @Ina,

I can't imagine how difficult it is trying to support your daughter while she is struggling with mental health issues as well as violence and control from a partner. It is understandable you are worried about the impact on her mental health now that she has relinquished custody of her two boys. I hope you find the forums a supportive place to talk about these issues.

I just wanted to make you aware as well of 1800 RESPECT, they are a nation-wide family violence and sexual assault helpline. As well as talking about what is happening on here it might be worth giving them a call to talk about your daughter’s situation.

I hope you find the forums a supportive place, I know a lot of people on here have experience supporting a loved one who is in a really difficult place and perhaps not engaging with the support they need.

Take care,

Tortoiseshell  

Re: BPD daughter

Thank you Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance