Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Eve1
Casual Contributor

Anxiety

Hi, I am new to this. I have been suffering severe anxiety since I had an accident in June. I am seeing a psychologist and am on medication. My doctor did not explain the medication to me and now I find that it is almost impossible to get off. I am so worried as it d oes not seem to be helping me. Every day is endless and filled with anxiety. At the moment I cannot even leave the house. People say I will get better but I am beginning to doubt it.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Anxiety

Hi @Eve1 🙂 It's nice to 'meet' you and see you here. I live with anxiety also, and find it can be really hard sometimes. I'm sorry to hear it's keeping you from being able to leave the house. That sounds really tough.

Are you able to see you doctor about your medication?

Is there anything you do at home that helps you feel less anxious? I definitely think anxiety can be managed, but it can be very hard to find what works well and be able to use those things across all situations when it might hit. I understand questioning whether it will get better though.

Lots of people here have experience with managing and living with anxiety and I hope others will come along and say hi also. You're also welcome to look around and join in wherever you'd like. If you would like to reply to someone you can put the @ symbol in front of their name and they will be tagged.

Hope to see you around some more 🙂
utopia
Senior Contributor

Hi @Eve1 - I think you may need to make an appointment with your doctor and ask about your medication. It may not be the right dose for you, or the right medication. Trial and error is how we find the medication that works best for us.
Coming off a medication needs to be done under the supervision of your doctor. As different drugs cause different withdrawals. When I've had to come off an anti anxiety med - I've reduced the dosage by a quarter of a tablet every fortnight. Slow and steady.
Do speak to your doctor - so that you are fully informed about your medications and what's right for you.
Eve1
Casual Contributor

Hi @utopia. Thank you for your advice. The problem with my med is that it is extended release. My doctor didn't even know! You cannot cut them. I am on the lowest dose so I don't know how it would work.
utopia
Senior Contributor

@Eve1. Is it a tablet? If a tablet, you can shave it with a sharp edged instrument. All around the edge. Every week shave it smaller - until only taking roughly a quarter.<br>If a capsule - then no good.<br>Have you spoken to your doctor about trying a different medication for your anxiety. There are many different types. <br>Is your doctor a gp or a psychiatrist? I recommend psychiatrists to dispense medications for mental health as gps only have a limited knowledge of what's available.

Hi @Eve1, it's a pleasure to 'meet' you. 

I really think you need to make that appointment with your doctor to discuss the medication to gain an understanding of it and also to work out what are the best treatment options for you. 

Eve1
Casual Contributor

@eutopia. Yes it is a tablet. It is the second medication I have tried. My doc is a gp and quite young. Don't think he has had much experience with this. Do you have to get a referral to see a psychiatrist?

Hi @Eve1 Your anxiety sounds really hard to manage. I struggle with anxiety too, to varying degrees. Sometimes it's just in the background, but other times it is horrible, inescapable and overwhelming. My understanding is that you do need a referral to see a psychiatrist. I found one that seems to have superpowers when it comes to medications i.e. finding what works for me. Not that they 'fix' things, but they can put a floor under anxiety/depression to the extent that you can find your feet and try other things as well. I find meditation and walking helpful, but it's a very individual thing. If my medication is not right I can't focus enough to meditate, and my motivation to do proactive things, like walking, drops. Sounds like returning to the GP is the place to start, but if you are just not getting better/getting help, might be time to look further afield. All the best.

Eve1
Casual Contributor

Hi@frog. My anxiety sounds similar to yours. It's a bitch! Had a couple of good days last week but now am in bed not knowing how to cope. My medication just seems to have suddenly stopped working. Have only been on this one 6  weeks. Nurse rang up to say I had to go and see my doctor but for the last week I have been housebound and they just ignore it. Such a dreadful condition. People don't  realise.  All the best.

utopia
Senior Contributor

@Eve1. Yes get a referral from your gp to a psychiatrist. The psychiatrist will assess you, diagnose you and prescribe medication for your MI.
Unfortunately there is no one medication that works on all people. But a good psychiatrist should be able to find the right drug for you.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance