Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

shanc
Senior Contributor

Alcohol troubles

I have had a drinking problem for over 4 years and ignored advice from my therapist and other doctors. I used it as medicine but as time went on realised it was a bigger deal.<br><br>From Xmas to New Years I drank so much i got gastitis and was really sick for many weeks. Still in pain at times. These past 3 weeks I have only had a few but am really struggling between my head wanting beer and my stomach and other organs needing a break and the pain it creates.<br><br>I am aggitated and anxious of the thought of not being able to drink. <br><br>Things I have tried<br>- meetings<br>- cutting back<br>- apps<br><br>I know I am wrecking my stomach as the doctor warned of ulcers and stomach problems etc. I can only drink a few beers before I feel sick or pains. Once this is healed I'm not sure I can stop.<br><br>Any ideas and thoughts are welcome
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Alcohol troubles

@shanc

Have you tried the  Queensland. Alcohol and Drug Information Service (ADIS) – Phone 1800 177 833. ADIS provides a free, 24 hour/7 day, counselling, information and referral service for anyone with concerns about their own or someone else's use of alcohol or other drugs.

The service is very useful as you can speak to them 24/7 and discuss the issue or triggers impacting you at the moment and discuss specific strategies to counter your thoughts, it may be worth giving them a ago.

Sleepy Panda

@SleepyPanda
Thank you very much

@shanc. I think the most likely way you can give up alcohol - is to know - deep down at your core - that you deserve to be happy and healthy - a whole person.
You don't deserve to be punished constantly by drinking. You deserve the best in life.
I too am currently struggling to give up the alcohol. Meetings, reducing intake, medication. And when I'm down and sucked into my depression - I think 'why bother. I deserve this misery'. If I got my head straight, and started to truly love myself, I think it would be easier to give up alcohol.
This is just my opinion. It may not apply to you.
I wish you well

How to Quit Drinking Naturally? - Healthable
https://apple.news/AeUXgx2dBQNOqGIhDJ2l86g
This is interesting @sanc @utopia I haven't read fully yet but some of it sounds like things I've tried in past , well, over my 30plus year .. 'career' ..re drinking..

I'll have to read it later. Thanks @TAB

No worries @utopia Well I was good yest and will be today. I drank 4 times in last 2 weeks. Which is a lot less often than a lot of the time. It's getting old. I'm getting old. 😀 anyway do whatevers right for you. Today

Good on you for reducing your drinking. Thatsa great aachievement @TAB

Well its a cycle so only a flash in pan most likely but wakes brain up after well a few sleepless nights a few times. Also haven't had painkillers for nearly a month, seem to be surviving. Just trying to get back to normal sleep and some sort of exercise @utopia but thanks
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance