Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Joelly88
Casual Contributor

Advice needed: telling a new partner about psychotic symptoms

I was diagnosed with schizoeffective borderline personality disorder in early 2016 and spent most of the year in hospital. I have been out of hospital for just over a year now and have been managing well. 

I have started dating over recent months, and have been wondering how I would tell a new partner that I regularly hear voices. 

I'm a young, professional guy and I would assume that my diagnosis would come as a surprise to girls because I don't fit the stereotypes of they might think "schizoeffective" means. 

I would particularly like advice on how much I detail I should go into regarding my symptoms. I'm open about it, and happy to explain, but am worried about making people uncomfortable and also worrying them into thinking that my symptoms might be a burden on them (whilst, they will definitely have an impact, I am going pretty well and would think that that impact would be minimal). 

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Advice needed: telling a new partner about psychotic symptoms

@Joelly88 - welcome to the forums. I haven't partnered up since I got sick over 3 years ago. So I'm sorry I can't help there. But I might ask @Queenie to give you some helpful advice on how she spoke about her MI to her partner.
Great to see you dating and enjoying all life has to offer. Sounds like you have your MI under control.

Hi @Joelly88 welcome to the SANE forum Smiley Happy  It sounds like you had a rough after you received your diagnosis last year, but it's really good that you have been managing well since then. 

It's understandable that you are concerned about how to tell a new partner about hearing voices. I think a lot of people who struggle with these symptoms are concerned about this too, so you certainly aren't alone there.

There are several threads here on the forums where memmers discuss various issues to do with managing and dealing with schizoeffective disorder. It doesn't look there is one that directly addresses the issue you are experiencing, but you still may find them helpful. 

I recommend checking out the 'Living with a Partner with Schizoeffective Disorder' thread here or the 'Working with a Mental Illness' thread here which discusses schizoeffective disorder as well. 

I hope you find the forum helpful Smiley Happy

Hey @Joelly88 and welcome to the boards. My apologies it has taken a while to reply to this thread, I had an internet outage which saw me offline for several days.

With regards to your question on how to inform your partner (or potential partner) about psychotic symptoms, I wouldn't be saying in your first date, but at the same time, honesty is the best policy I find. I was lucky in that my Mrs and I both met on a Facebook support group for people living with mental health conditions, so she already knew I had a mental illness. After I told her my diagnosis and what this entails (I am schizoaffective also), she was a little confused, especially after she saw me plunge headlong into a psychotic break with severe depression on top of it. However, she stood by me with a lot of support (she visited me each day whilst I was hospitalised) and today we are very solid in our relationship. 

If you meet someone and think they are not a keeper, it's probably not worthwhile divulging your mental health diagnosis to them. If you decide you want to take the relationship further, then by all means let them know. It is important to let them know there is a lot of negative stigma surrounding that particular illness, but that doesn't necessarily define you as a person. Point out your level of functionality (you're high functioning) and if they continue not to be supportive of you on your recovery journey, then they obviously aren't the right person for you.

Plenty of good partners are out there, ones that will understand and support you, regardless of your diagnosis.

I'm as open as possible, but you can't control how people are going to react.
Some people in my life reacted well and supportive, and I've also lost a lot of friends.
I love how your main concern is girls!

Which to be honest just makes me very cynical, can I ask about the rest of people in your life? How have they taken it, what have they said?
To be crude, if your main goal is to get laid, who cares what you tell them or don't tell them.

But if it's a relationship you're after then you're going to have to let the person that she is and the way the relationship develops guide you. How much do you trust her? How long have you known her? Are you together so much you can't hide the need to take pills? 

It's not something you HAVE to tell another person, but when youstart a relationship and you get to know them, and they begin to trust you then it begins to become a problem if you haven't told them. 

Can you see where I'm coming from? It will come to a point where you need to tell them, but if you're not after that kind of a relationship than you never need to tell them if you don't want to. 

Sorry to hijack but how do you go about explaining to your partner that your thoughts are very real and just because they are not real to your partner it doesn't mean the need to be dismissed? I don't have any visual or auditory hallucinations but my thought patterns are extremely unhealthy. He seems to now just call everything a delusion because he doesn't like what I am saying anyone go through anything similar? @Queenie @Former-Member @Joelly88

Hi @Bettinae21, good question...

I had an ex-partner who thought it was her job to put me down and with it all my beliefs and such. She called my whole life a delusion. If I fought for my rights as a human being, I was met with her putting me involuntarily into the hospital for sometimes a lengthy stay. During these stays, I would suffer severe depressive episodes because of the situation I was in. It took me a long time to realise what she was doing was abuse and I was able to get away from her thankfully. 

As for my so-called delusions. I do have what some people would call 'odd thinking' sometimes, but I do a lot of reality checking with my Mrs and close friends (basically people I trust). Sometimes partners just don't understand MH issues at all I find. I guess I am lucky in that regard as my Mrs would never dismiss anything I had to say unless she could back it up with evidence to the contrary. She knows justs because my point of view and beliefs may differ, doesn't mean I'm wrong or bad.

I guess that's where I am struggling ATM @Queenie. He tries, I can see he tries but because a lot of our disagreements are around his family I am automatically shut down and made to believe my illness is the reason when his family have had a part in our current circumstances just as much as I have. He refuses to believe they played any part in it. I'm also afraid of the involuntary admissions because whilst my first admission I went along with it, I felt pushed into it and also went through depressive episodes due the the environment and being kept away from my children. I'm just feeling so alone at the moment and like I can't trust anyone.

Thanks for your reply, @Former-Member.

Yes, I was referring more to a relationship. The person I'm referring to knows that I have mental health issues, and that I take medication for depression - but not about my psychotic symptoms. And you're right, that's what I'm worried about: leaving it too long to tell her, and having her think that I've kept something very serious from her; but don't know how to balance that with telling her "too soon". 

Thanks @Queenie - that's really helpful. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance