Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Joelly88
Casual Contributor

Advice needed: managing anxiety related to psychotic symptoms

I was diagnosed with schizoeffective borderline personality in early 2016 and spent most of the year in hospital. I have been out of hospital for just over a year now and have been managing well. 

I am now able to identify when I might be tracking towards experiencing psychotic symptoms, but something I'm struggling with is managing the anxiety that comes with that. E.g., before I experience full-blown auditory hallucinations, I often become very distracted, I can hear "chatter", and can't focus. Whilst I use that as a sign that I will probably hear voices, and that I need to prepare for that, it also causes great anxiety that probably worsens the psychotic symptoms. Any advice on how I might be able to manage this anxiety a bit better?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Advice needed: managing anxiety related to psychotic symptoms

Hi @Joelly88

It sounds like you have come a long way since early 2016. Well done! Recognising early signs and preparing for symptoms can help with any kind of health issue so it’s great that you are on top of that.

There are a few people on the Forums who may be able to identify with your experience of anxiety related to psychotic symptoms. @Zam, @Queenie and @Zest have discussed schizophrenia and anxiety over here. You might also find this discussion about night time relaxation methods between @outlander, @Adge and @Niqueeta relevant to managing some of the anxiety symptoms.

I can see you have started another discussion and have a few replies. You could also introduce yourself over here or feel free to add your thoughts around the place. I look forward to seeing you around!

Hi @Joelly88. I can understand the anxiety you are referring to. I find I am often overcome with anxiety due to my paranoia, voices and the general rollercoaster that is schizoaffective disorder. When I am beginning to experience psychotic symptoms like hallucinations, paranoia or even strange beliefs, I am wreaked with anxiety in that I worry about having a full-blown psychotic episode which will require hospitalisation. I also can become anxious if I swing into a depression phase (but strangely do not worry when I am swinging into mania or hypomania). 

The best tip I can provide is if you are becoming anxious about the psychotic stuff, reality check as often as you need to. This can involve someone you really trust and just asking them for reassurance that what you are experiencing is part of your illness and isn't 'real' (even though if it seems very real for you). I use my Mrs as my reality checker and she is used to all sorts of strange things being asked. Sometimes I wonder what she must think of me at times lol! Having reality checking done as often as you need, you can feel safe and more secure, especially if what you are experiencing is frightening. 

Hi @Joelly88 Welcome.

I think that the links to other discussions that @Acacia gave you might be really helpful.

My anxiety is trauma-based, as I'm survivor of long-term trauma (20 years) with CPTSD.

The techniques or ideas for managing anxiety would still be similar.

Adge

Thanks Queenie - this is really good information; I'm not sure if I exactly understand "reality checking" though. 

Could you give me an example of something you have "reality checked" about? Sorry, if this doesn't make sense. 

Hey @Joelly88, reality checking for me might involve asking a friend or family member whom I trust if what I am experiencing has a basis in reality. For example, if I can hear people laughing, I might ask if they can hear it too. If I am by myself at the time, reality checking is a bit trickier but not impossible. Look for evidence to support or deny what you are currently experiencing. Be like a curious scientist exploring your world, rather than being swept up in the symptoms.

🙂 Hope this makes more sense. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance