Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: A long rave

Sorry @Mazarita   I didn't get a notification you'd posted.  What are you up to today?

I've caught up as much as I'm going to with inbox etc but won't sign out if we can have a chat.  Always lovely to see you in real time.

@eth just answered a little of what you said in recent posts while I was waiting.

Past couple of better days I have been back with the poetry. Published a new one to my blog this morning, written and edited within the past week. 

p.s. notifications were down for at least the past 12-18 hours and only just started happening again, even in the on screen list. May be a few bugs still being ironed out, hence not getting notified of my posts. x

Snap!! @Mazarita 

Haven't written collaboratively with T yet but who knows?  We write very differently.  Hers is very much character driven and 3rd person and mine a lot of times are memoir plus poetic license (read fiction!) in the 1st person.  Yesterday she challenged me to continue with a story that came up in response to a random prompt - the word glass - but to change it to 3rd person.  Interesting.  I found I was able to be more descriptive of the character at the centre of the story.  And 'show' not 'tell' as we are always reminded to do when being critiqued.    I wonder what will happen with my writing when I run out of memoir-based tales !! 

Oops forgot to press post!  So sorry, hope you're still here.

What do you mean by the on-line list @Mazarita ?  could be a forum function I've not discovered in 6 years!!

@eth sounds interesting the challenge to change from first to third person. Would indeed give a different perspective on things. I write a lot from the 'I' too. The one I posted today was light and whimsical, a nice change from the usual deep dark meanderings that often appear in my writing.

I find the writing that comes out of me in response to prompts is not that good. One thing I love though is erasure poetry, which is poetry written by selecting words from pre-existing writing. The one I published last was written from words C wrote in a freeform text he did years ago. I find this brings interesting new word choices and surprising meanings I wouldn't have got to without the erasure limitations.

@eth when I access the forum from my desktop computer there is a 'new' button near the top right of the screen, which is where I find all my notifications listed.

That's interesting about erasure writing @Mazarita   Seems I've been doing it without knowing it was a thing!

Nice to hear about something light and whimsical emerging for you in the midst of the feelings you've been dealing with.

@Mazarita thanks for that,  I'd not noticed or used it before.

Yes I find it really hard to get started with prompt writing too, or to see what I do with it as 'good' writing.   But I think it  stretches my brain and sometimes fills a gap when I'm not feeling inspired.  As they say, if you want to be a writer you have to write!

Since March last year I've also kept a daily journal, which is often just banal details of what I did over the day, but includes writing about challenging events, moods, ideas to write about, sessions with psychologist, realizations etc.  I haven't read it back but may do so soon to see if I want to turn it into a retrospective of life since covid became a thing.  Or even perhaps this erasure writing might be something I could do with it. At this stage it's over 100 double sided A4 pages of scribble!

@eth I wrote the first draft before getting hit with the two days of high distress and have been able to get back to that vibe in the past couple of days editing. I usually write pretty quickly though when I do it and editing doesn't take me that long either except right at the end when I get obsessed with rhythms and particular word choices. I am enjoying making my poetry fully public for the first time. Feels very good to be again engaging with creating artistically.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance