Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Tim_H
Senior Contributor

Treatment for OCD

I was wondering if anybody with symptoms of OCD have found others don't understand ? How have you explained symptoms to family/friends ?

16 REPLIES 16

Re: Treatment for OCD

My OCD is very apparent sometimes. I have an obsssion with 6, so have 6 towels, 6 dinner plates, six pair of shoes and even moved into my house because the address was a combination of 6. When I get stressed I count and pace out the room in measures of six tiles or 6 feet etc. It is very obvious to anyone who knows me well. I told my family I was Schizophrenic and OCD and they immediately disowned me, butprobably because of the schizophrenia, not the OCD. Explaining it to friends has been no more difficult for me than explaining any of my other symptoms. Most people I know just accept it.

Hi Howard,

I don't have OCD (although I can get a bit that way if I'm extremely stressed), but I do have a couple of friends with it. I wish I could help you but it's something I have found relatively easy to accept. Yet I know that people can be extremely judgemental about it.

Have you got a therapist you can discuss it with? Maybe try talking with them about how to approach the subject - with people you feel you can trust and who are likely to be accepting for starters. You may find that people fairly close to you are relieved when you bring it up because it is out in the open.

I hope this is some help. 🙂

Best regards,

Kristin

Hi Kenny,

I'm so sorry about your family disowning you - that is horrendous. I know it probably won't feel any better but quite frankly they don't deserve you! From reading your posts it is clear you are a very caring person who really wants to be well and be able to contribute to the world. And you have lots to contribute, it just may not be the same as "normal" people (I hate that word!)

Kind regards,

Kristin

Hi Kristin-I did a post but it seems to got lost somewhere so I will try and remember what I put in it.

I am not particularly worried by being cut out by my family. I had a long period of childhood abuse so i wasnt really connected to them anyway, even though I tried to stay in touch for my mums sake. Once I told them about the shizophrenia I think it just gave an opportunity to justify the abuse, in a warped sort of way and by cutting me off comletely allows the past to be buried. One great thing thta came out of it is that I have a total aversion to any sort of violence which is a huige positive. So I pretty well love anyone who is gentle and kind. Anyway lots of kid had it much worse than me and thats why I put my name down to volunteer at the mental health clinic which is filled with people who have been physically and sexually abused as kids and adults which in some cases must have contributed to their health issues. And I do want to contribute. MI people have been very good to me and I have some really supportive friends who are MI. As I said before my schizophrenic flatmate and my best friend who is Bipolar have been life savers for me. On the whole I am very happy with my lot in life and really just want to get on with it. It would be great to work though. Thanks so much for your kind comments.

Kenny

Howard One thing I meant to ment is that my psych needled me about whether it really created practical difficulties in my life. For example, if you have an obsession about making sure everything is perfect before leaving the house, does that result in you going back to check everything and anything before you finally leave. He explained that some people are so obsessed by this, they actually dont leave.There are a whole big list of OCD traits as I am sure you know. I dont know how your particular OCD is but if it doesnt bug people, I cant see that it would make any difference to anyone. If some activities do bug people I would think that most people would be forgiving and understanding as they should be with any other condition. I have found that in my case. I never beat around the bush in telling people I know well about my schizophrenia and OCD. With me it has just made things easier in the long run. There are some coping strategies that can be used with OCD which apparently can be effective but I never took up the opportunity to use them.

kenny

Hey Kenny,

Appreciate the response. I have had a range of OCD symptoms since childhood, however any compulsions are either mental/avoidance type behaviours or hidden. i.e. I obsess the sun might damage my eyes, yet I go out in the sun anyway and endure the discomfort. Or I prefer things in my room to be a 'certain' way, yet I don't give in and just leave things lying around etc. Again putting up with the discomfort, sometimes sitting up in distress for hours.

I never told friends family about any of my many symptoms, now that I have started to they simple don't understand the strength of the anxiety/distress. Which leaves me to think unless you have OCD you can't understand it ?

Hey Kristin,

Thanks for your response. Until recently I kept my OCD a secret (as my compulsions are mainly mental/aviodance), although now that I've started to talk about it I'm finding people don't understand how serious the condition can be. OCD still seems to be seen as a mild problem. When I take the time to explain my symptoms and the amount of discomfort they cause friends etc struggle to comprehend it, like it's to much for them to handle.

Hopefully others with severe OCD will join the forum and we can chat !

It is certainly not mild for my best friend. It has made his life miserable at times. He has been getting help with MH services where he lives in the UK. Long journey though, he said trying to unlearn after many years of rituals is tough.

There are some good OCD charities in the UK. OCD action and OCD UK.

I've written some articles for OCD UK. We need our own OCD charity here !

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance