Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Mountbeauty
Contributor

Travel

Hi 🙂

I have been in Australia for a year now and long to travel overseas again. I long to be away from my family. I love them but I would love to be an individual from them. I love travel, it sets me free. The only thing stopping me is medication and weight gain, iit can really be uncomfortable being unfit when travelling and I have been doing things to get fitter. It is such a long process to get off medication, but feels unbearable to stay any longer.i have also found someone to wean off May I add that some countries have a 30 day limit to what you can bring in,

Has anyone been in a similar situation with med and weight/doing things? Any suggestion
16 REPLIES 16
Arjay
Senior Contributor

Re: Travel

I travel frequently and have never been asked about my medication. (At least 4 scripts).  I do get a letter from my gp stating what I am on.  Two times the travel was for 6 weeks.  Make sure your covered for health issues as can be pricey in other countries

Lunar
Senior Contributor

Hi there @Mountbeauty

That is great that you have been working hard at managing your weight and weaning off medication, I wouldn't let the medication issue stop you, my sister moved overseas and travelled with no return ticket to all of europe, middle east and south america with all her medication, she just had her GP write a letter and she was fine, obviously some countries are more strict but if you have written proof the meds are for you and not to sell, you should be fine.

Where are you thinking about going?

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Mountbeauty

I agree that meds shouldn't stop you from travel. Just make sure to check the country pages, I needed clearance from Singapore health for one of my meds - but it's only a bit of paperwork you need to sort out, just like checking whether you need a visa, so don't let that stop you.

Travel insurance is really important and for me it was also important to know who to contact. When I was in Europe I checked out local support pages, similar to Sane or beyondblue, when I was in india that was more difficult, so I found out you can call beyondblue via Skype which was a saviour as I had a panic attack before my flight home - I wasn't well at all at the time, but had to travel for business.

It's good if you're working on your fitness, i only walk and i walk very slow, but then on the positive i get to see much more 😊

If you want a sniff of independence from your family and a trial run, why don't you do a little trip in Australia? My first trip after being hospitalised several times in the last year was a trip within Australia and I went with my husband. You could also take a friend or do it on your own if that doesn't present an issue to you.

I'm going on my first domestic flight on my own next month, the first time since that awful trip to India. Nothing against India, but it was work, there were internal flights as well and I only stayed a few days, so it was not a fun experience.

Enjoy your travels 😊

Hello @Former-Member, @Mountbeauty, @Arjay , how are you today HeartHeart

Hi Arjay

Thanks for your reply. And thanks for the information. That sounds like  a  good idea. Have  you been for longer periods? Have you been to Asia or South America?

I know that places like london,america are fine but just curious about travelling to these places (many things ive read say that need a letter/or go for 30 days or less)

🙂 

Hi @Lunar

Thanks for the message! 🙂

Wow that's good to know. How long did your sister go for? 🙂

I would like to go to Israel and travel South east asia/south america, all in good time. 

I just started studying online but for some reason I just don't want to do it and am not interested. 

Itchy feet

🙂

-Rayne-
Senior Contributor

Agree with all the above. I travel regularly to Europe, US and Canada for work. The flight is difficult (when they dim the cabin lights I always have flashbacks) but I've never had my medications questioned. I always reflect on the fact that the checks leaving Au are stricter than those entering Europe. such is life. 

Hello @-Rayne-, @Mountbeauty, @Former-Member, @Lunar, @Arjay

over the years i have been to new zealand , Tasmania , cornwall in england , nearly all of australia , love to do more travelling

@Mountbeauty @Shaz51 @-Rayne- @Former-Member @Lunar

I travelled to the USA just after 9/11, when the Global financial crisis had taken effect and the security was extremely high then. I was never questioned about my medication, although I had to take my shoes off. My only restriction at the time and this is going back years ago, was that I could only stay for 1 month max due to my Centrelink benefits restrictions.

When ever I travel, even if it is just for a day, I always take plenty of medication with me. That way if I ever get stuck, I know that I will never run out. Always take more than you need, that way if you are delayed at any point there will be less troubles.

Unfortunately I can no longer travel on planes due to health reasons, so overseas trips are now out for me. Unfortunately interstate would be only by train or coach if I can last the distance....

I agree with everyone else, try a small trip even locally for a few days and see how you travel with the stress of travelling, packing and organising one. Then go bigger if your ok.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance