Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

hopeat57
Casual Contributor

PTSD & DEPRESSON

I'm not covered privately. I'm suffering more than ever with my ptsd & depression (for me there's a difference with the two). I'm 58 this year & with endless professionals seeing me, the one who knows me best is ruling out E.C.T. I'm desperate & wonder if he is hesitant because of me? Or his own reputation?. I was accepted at the black dog for a trial drug only to have a massive setback because I never had the money for accomadation. Or someone with me daily for length of trial. (I applied myself then got referal). Nothing iv gone, done or taken has helped me. Iv no friends & family abandoned me. Where is hope when I feel iv exhausted all reg self help & professional? I wanted hypnoses but why are professonals hesitant re ECT or hypnosis? Being poor makes me feel, it is all about money. I don't mean to sound rude, but in my case & so many years!, I feel money may have helped in that private psyc may have been more willing. Money will never buy happiness! I just want to "feel" more than the night & day dispare iv felt litterally over half a lifetime! Any thoughts on hypnoses? ECT?.
5 REPLIES 5

Re: PTSD & DEPRESSON

Welcome @hopeat57 this has been a tough time for you and I am sorry you have not found yet what you are looking for or want to try in regards to treatment.  Have you discussed what you have written here with your current professional?  Also I was wondering if any charaty can assist you with other needs when you apply for trials or other treatment such as support and accommodation.  

I hope that you find support on the forum and suggestions from others as to how they may have handled a similar situation.

Regards 

Sylvester SANE Moderator

Hi @hopeat57

It's terrible that your financial situation makes you like you aren't receiving the best help.

You may have already explored this, but I'm wondering if you have applied for the NDIS? 

As Sylvester asked - have you talked to your Dr about why they don't recommend ECT? Is he/she trying other treatments at the moment?

I hope you're finding this community helpful and we continue to see you around the Forums.

Take care,

Nik

Former-Member
Not applicable

@hopeat57, i am your age and so relate. Just do the best you can, live for the good days, try to make them happen, that's all we can do.
Hugzzzz xox

I just wanted to say that I worked briefly in a public psych ward attached to a major public hospital and there were heaps of people having E.C.T there on the pubic dollar. They did not pay a cent. 

A few were inpatients - but many were out-patients who just had to stay a few hours after the E.C.T. and then they would go home to their ordinary lives... some of them were even in the work force.  So I doubt that it is an issue that you don't have private cover, @hopeat57. Not that I am an expert... you would have to talk it over with your psychiatrist. 

Perhaps some psychiatrists favour E.C.T. as being a suitable treatment, while other psychiatrists don't rate it highly? You would have to ask your doctor why he/she thinks E.C.T. is not suitable for you.

As for hypnosis.... I don't know much about it. But I don't think it's really considered to be mainstream medical practice. It's more of an alternative therapy, as far as I know. 

I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't do the clinical drug trial. That is very disappointing. 

How are you feeling today, @hopeat57

I don't have private health cover, either.... but I don't think it's made much of a difference to me. I just took advantage of everything Medicare had to offer.

@hopeat57. I hear what you are saying. I worked in the mental health sector before a workplace incident triggered ptsd.
Because my psych treatment is paid through Workcover- it means I get the latest recommended therapies.
I had EMDR therapy within 1@ months of suffering ptsd. I no longer have ptsd.
But the clients in the oubkic system I worked in - don't get EMDR therapy. The public system and psychiatrists don't offer it.
You may be lucky and find a psychiatrist who offers EMDR or another therapy. And you may find they bulk bill. But you really need to search for them & be willing to go on their long waiting list. But it might be worth a try.
It's not a fair system. I'd like it changed.
I wish you well.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance