Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Disappearingact
New Contributor

New here

Hi everyone I have just signed up here and wanted to post for the first time. I am having a hard time right now, nearly my whole life has been filled with depression/anxiety/anorexia, and sometimes I am on top of it sometimes I'm not. I had been going along ok recently but all of a sudden I feel like its hit me like a tonne of bricks. I am having multiple panic attacks a day and I haven't slept for a while, I think it's been a few days. I have to small children to care for and I am struggling to look after myself. I am thinking of taking another trip to the doctor soon for a review. Anyway just wanted to vent!!
8 REPLIES 8
utopia
Senior Contributor

Re: New here

Hello @Disappearingact. That's a powerful name. I sometimes feel like I'm disappearing and/or invisible to others. Other times I'd like to disappear.
Panic attacks are awful. I've suffered with them for the past few years. But I only had 2 full attacks last year - thanks to my ptsd treatment. Although I still suffer from slight anxiety.
I'm a single mum & being a mum is exhausting. Add in mental illness and it's that much harder. But never impossible.
A review with your doctor sounds like a good idea. Are you talking about your gp or your psychiatrist?
I found my greatest help through my psychologist. Talking therapy. Meditation. Time in nature.
What do you do to help you unwind or relax or refocus?
Heart
Senior Contributor

Hello @Disappearingact, Hear what you are saying loud and clear. I suffer anxiety and no it is not nice.

Do your children still have sleeps during the day and if so that is a great time for you to unwind and relax as well. I enjoy painting/colouring in: I would use my childs books to help me relax and change my thinking when I needed it.

Hope these little tips can help you and let us know how you are feeling.

Lunar
Senior Contributor

A very warm welcome @Disappearingact,

It's great you have come to the forums and finding it helpful to vent 🙂

Like @utopia and @Heart said, an appointment with your GP to get linked in with a Psychologist to get some extra support will be really helpful so you can cope better and sleep better, you must be terribly exhausted. Plus also really focusing on your self-care at the moment, so anything you can do to get some time to yourself and feel calm and get back into your body and out of your head.

Also, there is the Smiling Mind App which has some helpful exercises that allow you to relax so you can fall asleep and avoid having a panic attack.

Smiling Mind

https://smilingmind.com.au/

Keep sharing with us, we look forward to getting to know you better,

Lunar

utopia
Senior Contributor

@Disappearingact . As @luna said - the smiling minds ap is great. Short quick relaxations. These are easier to manage when you are time poor with young ones.
Good luck
Heart
Senior Contributor

@Disappearingact, I just tried the app that @Lunar and @utopia were talking about. It is great. Did this while getting ready for work but would make a great app for bed time or any relaxation time you can give yourself.

Smiley Happy

Ellu
Senior Contributor

Dear New here,

Welcome to our supportive community, where you can vent all you like as we all share problems and dfficultes in our lives.

It sounds as if things have been gettng worse and worse for you at the moment. It must be particularly hard having to look after two young children. You did mention going back to your doctor for a review. I think that is an excellent idea, as you may need an adjustment to your medications - sometimes these stop working for no reason at all, which is very frustrating. The good news is that a minor adjustment can make all the difference.

As for the panic attacks, no doubt you have been taught various techniques for dealing with them. I know they can be really awful and maybe this is something you can discuss with your doctor as well. Use all your health care team to help you through the bad times, I can identify with your anxiety and depression as I have bi-polar disorder, and I just wanted to say we are here for you and I am thinking of you and your two young children.

Ellu 

Hello @Disappearingact

how are you today ??

I see you have met @Ellu, @Heart, @utopia, @Lunar xx

we are all here for you xx

Heart
Senior Contributor

Hello @Disappearingact, How are you today? We would love to hear from you again. Come back and have a chat.

Here for you xoxo

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance