Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

AspieGirl
Casual Contributor

Hi

I attempted suicide the other day and spent a few days in hospital. Since getting out I feel even more alone as people who i thought were friends no longer want to talk to me or have anything to do with me as "its affected them" 

5 REPLIES 5
NikNik
Senior Contributor

Re: Hi

Hi @AspieGirl

I'm so glad you reached out here 🙂 Welcome to the community.

I saw that a moderator check in with you earlier - thanks for getting back to us 🙂

I'm sorry to hear about your attempt and the aftermath. Some people just don't understand.

Did the hospital give you any support details or referrals to connect you in with local services?

You're among friends here 🙂

Hi @AspieGirl

I am a bit of an aspie old girl ... but grew up before it was a well known concept. Yes we all effect each other in a myriad of ways, not just through sneezing and passing along bugs.

Sorry that you learned about your friends' immaturity in that way.

The first time I came into contact with the idea of suicide was when a social worker from a hospital traced me at work and asked me to come and visit an old school friend who had attempted suicide.  I was about 18-19 and shocked concerned and felt privileged that they had bothered to go through the effort to find me.  I would say that the experienced deepened and matured me.

Please take care of yourself and do not read your own value & worth through the inadequacies in other people.

I hope you find people to relate to here that help you on your journey in life.

Friends do come & go.  There are other people who would probably enjoy sharing some of your interests.

AspieGirl
Casual Contributor

I find it really hard to make friends in general so the fact I've lost some is really effecting me. I am getting help slowly. I am trying to write down things to get them out of my head - does anyone else find it helpful to do this?
mrkotter
Senior Contributor

@AspieGirl wrote:
I find it really hard to make friends in general so the fact I've lost some is really effecting me. I am getting help slowly. I am trying to write down things to get them out of my head - does anyone else find it helpful to do this?

yes. writing helps.

Sending a lot of love your way @AspieGirl. Ignore the haters, they're not worth it.

utopia
Senior Contributor

@AspieGirl. Your friends obviously were hurt and scared about what they saw/heard. It is hard for friends and family when someone they love attempts suicide. I know I felt helpless when a family member of mine had 2 very serious attempts. I just didn't know how to help her. And at the time I felt I didn't want to be around if she was going to be successful with the next one. I tried staying away from her. The pain I felt seeing her in hospital after her attempts just shattered me. Maybe your friends feel like I did. Maybe they are scared you will try it again and one day be successful. Maybe their pain is also devastating at that thought.
I grew up & learnt more about depression and SI. I reconnected with my sister. And just this year I had my own suicidal thoughts and booked myself into hospital.
I hope that your friends just need more time to process what they are feeling. Give them a few weeks. Then try and reconnect with each of them again.
I'm glad you didn't succeed in your attempt. And I pray that you will be feeling better with each week of therapy you attend.
I wish you well
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance