Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Sweet_cheeks
Senior Contributor

youth group for son with psychosis

Hi All, does anyone know of a youth peer support programme in the Sydney region. My son is 16 with psychosis. I think it would be good if he could meet others like him so he feels he is not alone feeling like he does and he might get some tips and make some friends. He has a lot of friends but they don't understand what he is going through. I looked at him getting into some youth activities. He has played team sport but there is nothing going on at the moment. I thought about bmx riding or something. does anyone have suggestions? How about you @greenpea How are you?

26 REPLIES 26

Re: youth group for son with psychosis

@Sweet_cheeks  Hey Sweet_cheeks I am great thanks and so is son2 which is even better.  We arent allowed to give out kind of information but if you ask HeadSpace for example they might be able to point you in the right direction. Good to hear that your son is doing well. Keep in touch. peaxx

Thanks @greenpea I have called them and left a message. Glad you and your boy are doing well. 

@Sweet_cheeks  thanks sweetheart I am glad your boy is doing good too. Us mums have to stick together xx

Hi there. I have just this afternoon found out that he 15 year old son soon to be 16 has psychosis and ADD. I am so overwhelmed and sad for him. I don't know what to do or where to start. I'm a single mum. My son hasn't seen his dad for 10 years so it's just me. Does anyone know if Psychosis leads to Schizophrenia? I'm so scared for what this means for his life. We are is Brisbane. Xxx @Sweet_cheeks @greenpea 

Hey @Kellyil and welcome to the forums!

I'm sure you'll be able to get some support and insight from other members. I thought you may also like to have a read through of some SANE's resources to help you with understanding what is happening for your son - you can read the Psychosis Factsheet here for some more info. 

Hi and thanks I'm hoping to connect with other parents who have teens going through the same thing so I know what to expect 

@Kellyil  Hey Kellyi1 and welcome to the forums. You really should be asking a professional re psychosis leading to schizophrenia. All I can say is my son has schizophrenia. I believe he always has since a young child. I was first given the diagnosis of psychosis, then bipolar I and then finally schizoaffective disorder (schizophrenia with a mood disorder). Try not to worry about labels. Just concentrate on you son having the right medication etc. I hope this helps a bit. Again everyone is different so talk with your gp for example re your concerns about your son. Love peax

@Kellyil HI it's must be very hard for you especially managing on your own. I hope you can find trusted people who can support you. My son was also 15 when he was diagnosed. He's 16 now. He was diagnosed with psychosis. I think @greenpea is a good person to talk to about this and obviously the doctor knows best. My doctor hasn't called it schizophrenia.  My doctor said, you can sometimes just have an episode of psychosis and that's all. I also have the fear that it will turn into schizophrenia but even if it does there are people here and a cousin and a friend of mine who cope well with the disease have families and jobs and enjoy life. It's not a death sentence. I know it's distressing seeing your little darling suffering, however the good news is or better news is that the medicine works. It has worked very well for my son. He has been excercising too which makes a big effect on his mood having and psychotherapy has really helped. I have contacted the hospital who have a special team for acute adolescent mental health. Also he can get 10 medicare session with a psychologist and since it's chronic he can have a further 5 sessions. Also I'd contact the benevolent society they can put you in touch with carers counselling and get more information on how you can help your son at this crucial time and yourself too. I'm going through this all myself. Also his school can help with study and getting support through the hsc.  It's good that you have got him to see someone early. There are a lot of people here who manage pretty well with medicine. I have bipolar and epilepsy, I manage ok. This site is very good. Best of luck @Sweet_cheeks 

@Kellyil My son is doing much better but he has been on it for a while now. He has put on some weight but is riding the bike so he's lost some. His school work is going well but he doesn't have a job. I did contact headspace and they only have psychiatric and psychological services available. I think they have legal too. However no peer group sessions only for eating disorders and things like that. ( stupid isn't it. no psychosis groups) but the hospital may offer such things my other son went to one. He also has mental illness and autism. There's mission Australia, Centrecare those sorts of places that help youth get on track. Salvos for example offer driving lessons. There's stuff out there. If I find some more things I'll let you know. I just started yesterday and have things floating around on my computer desk with names and numbers. I don't live in Queensland but these places would be national. Please  look after yourself though. . I used to think I was responsible . It's the luck of the draw.@ greenpea helped me let go of those thoughts Look after yourself for your son as well as you. This is a very hard time. It is scary I know. I am here when you need me. There are some other terrific people too. Good Luck Love sweet_cheeks

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance