Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: bipolar triggers

Exciting, that's something to look forward to @Jenn4. Hoping she's really good and the session goes well Smiley Happy What have you got planned this weekend? 

Thank you 🙂 yeah nervous it won’t help, but just move on and try again if that’s the case. Uni work that’s overdue and paid work for my parents on the farm/business, church, and going to see Peking Duk with a good mate 🙂 you?
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hey Jenn!

I tend to stay away from caffeine, alcohol and most stimulating activities when my mood is elevated and I can't sleep! Although it is most fun to stay up all night listing to music, studying and whatnot (I've done it many, many times) I've come to learn that the most important thing for us is a regular sleep pattern and exercise.

Hope you enjoy yourself tonight at the concert and don't stress out, enjoy yourself you're being looked after! Don't be afraid to reach out!

thanks @Former-Member 🙂

totally agree - it is often super fun and novel to roll with the allnighter, i've also done it heaps, but i think i'm coming to reach a similar conclusion to you, that it's better to focus on sleeping and rhythm etc.

thanks for your encouragment. 

the concert was great had a ball 🙂 

In terms of one thing that actually triggers it, that is still quite a mystery for me. Most likely a combination of factors, external events I am reacting towards too negatively, in combination with at least a few other triggering stressors.

I know when the mood swing is happening through all the changes in behaviour and attitude toward taking risks etc.  At that time that I can usually see what the triggers may have been, however 'the horse has already bolted'.

I try to track my moods in an effort to pick up on stressors early, so that I can choose a constructive response, prior to getting swept away with it.

Hi @Jenn4  good idea for a new thread.  Sorry I just found it.  Hope your appointment with the new psychologist or psychiatrist went really well and you think you've found a good match that you can work with.

I have bipolar 1 and complex PTSD and they can trigger each other, often a PTSD flare up will trigger either a high or a low.

Other triggers for me are :

conflict near me or involving me

travel

certain people

housing instability and financial pressures

NDIS processes

a certain class of  meds

getting lost or disoriented when alone or in a crowded place

too much insomnia

high anxiety

I have a Wellness Recovery Action Plan which includes a list of triggers and a 'triggers action plan' as well as lists of early warning signs.  I add to these lists if new triggers turn up or new skills to avoid them.  And I use charts to monitor what's going on every morning and night.  These charts are available online (google 'bipolar mood charts' - there are lots of different ones).  So it means I can see if things are trending one way or the other and put strategies in place to prevent a full swing and lots of problematic behaviours (e.g. overspending, taking risks, shooting off on crazy, unsafe adventures, hypersexuality) or reach out for support from either trusted family or professionals.  If it sounds like constant self-assessment and management .... it is!  Along with medication compliance.  But it's kept me out of hospital for 10 years.  Even when I did have an episode I didn't lose my insight into the fact it was happening.  

If I don't manage to prevent a major swing, then my WRAP also has lists of activities to do if I'm elevated or depressed.  And a crisis plan.

FYI if you enter 'bipolar' on the search bar you will find numerous other older threads by people with it that might interest you.

Take care, Eth

Thanks @Sitting_Quietly and @eth appreciate your input 🙂 it's pretty mysterious to me too tbh. Dunno. Trying to wrap my head around it. Cheers for your input. I'm also in the process of formulating a list of activities to do when i'm up or down. Trying to get a handle on it 🙂 Take care, Jenn.

Hi @Jenn4 I would say stress and lack of sleep are my biggest triggers. I am noticing more recently that I don't cope well with cyclical changes such as the seasons changing or the transition into or from daylight savings. I am convinced I have SAD Seasonal Affective Disorder. So I try to make sure I get as much sunshine over winter as possible. Talking about stress, I find I often take on too much, usually when I'm feeling hypomanic, and when my mood settles I am doing much more than I can cope with. There are other triggers of course like too much caffeine or stressful people and life events.  Usually if I can maintain a routine and some stability and take my medication I can ride out the ups and downs. Thanks for asking this question it's made me more self aware.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance