Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: autistic adults and the police

@Corny  I hate it when animals get used for medical research. It is awful imho One of my favourite movies is the Brad Pitt one with Bruce Willis the 12 Monkeys I think it is called. Animals live above the ground while the humans live under the ground where they belong.

I didn't know that Australia experimented on monkeys @greenpea I assumed it wasn't allowed and that it was in countries like the USA that they did that. The university and hospital really kept that a secret.

The state of the flora and fauna around the world is so very depressing. There was talk that 50,000 koalas were killed in the fires on Kangaroo Island, how did the government manage to stop any photo journalism? There was one pic of a koala by some water next to a dead koala and that was about it. I just think that it would have been much more powerful to see photos. I hate that about Australians, we are so apathetic and comparatively to other countries we are so uber wealthy that we are lazy. 

I hope that it went well at the NDIA, my case manager wants me to apply, but I don't know, I find that sort of thing incredibly stressful and very depressing reading your own medical reports. Its hard enough dealing with your life story in your own head, but to read it in other people's words, I don't know why but it makes my mood sink into the ground. 

I am incredibly lethargic, have no energy and have come down with something so I may be quiet Peas but I hope that you are well and managing your daughters upcoming move OK 

Heart

@Corny  Sorry to hear you are not well. I hope you get over it quickly with as little stress as possible.  Yes I agree Australians the whole thing is very depressing actually ..... I can barely think about it tbh.  Again I hope you are feeling better soon my dear friend Corney. Love peaxxx

Thanks @greenpea I just need to rest and I think I will take a break from school pick-up next week and leave the babes to their bugs on their own and try and give my immune system a bit of a break....but then I miss them tee hee Smiley Wink

Is your daughter moving far away? Out on her own or with friends? 

Heart

@Corny  Well take good care of yourself and yes I think a break next week sounds the right way to go :)xx daughter is moving about 10-15 minutes walk from my place lol.  She will be moving in by herself so it will be a big change for her. I will leave my keys with her so that if she needs to she can come home at any time of the day just incase she gets freaked out and I am not at home :).  I want to make sure that she knows she is still a part of the family and is welcome any time of day or night.

OMG @greenpea that is so exciting! 

I share housed for 20 years with randoms and friends I made along the way, and have lived alone for...in October it will be 2 years. 

It takes a bit of an adjustment, but the privacy and own space can be serene, and when you have a MI being able to control the sensory environment has done wonders for my MH. Something as small as the TV being on is just too much, I swear to god TV advertisements scream at you, I cannot stand it. 

You do get lonely at times, but some days you run back to your apartment because you need to be alone to recalibrate and bring your anxiety down or ride out some other symptoms, or to just chill out at home. 

So if you come home and some items are missing you will know who broke in and swipped them!

You might get some dinner invitations, or an invite for high tea in the suburbs!

In time, she will love it. The freedom and independence is great and she has to be able to look after herself and be as independent as possible. It would be so easy for all you guys to become co-dependent and hold each other back. I know that from my own family.

You're her Mum, you're not her carer.

Tough love from Corn dog Heart

@Corny  I am currently organzing my dsp pension. I want that to be in place before I decide what is to be done with son2. I have basically made up my mind (after your sound advice:)) to leave everything to him in the future. My other two children particularly my eldest is capable to look after himself.  Anyway there is no rush with him. He  is fine atm and I am sorting out his carer arrangements atm. I hope my other two children will understand but i really feel this is the way to go with this..

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance