Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Working through dilemmas involving values

Just have to say how much I'm loving this discussion @CheerBear @Shaz51 @Maggie @Teej @Amour_Et_Psyché    So much food for thought.  Just haven't a lot of words atm but want you to know I'm following with much interest.

I think it is brave to share something as personal as your values list @Teej Heart I really appreciate you being so open, thank you. I relate to a lot of those values you have listed as they were on my (ultra long) list. It made me wonder whether there are certain values that work together or against each other as far as determining the strength of relationships between people.

You inspired me to have another go at identifying my core values, to see if it might help with some of the dilemmas I am having. I’m going to kind of cheat also Smiley Tongue Mine are:

Fairness and equality

Empathy and compassion

Personal development

Connection

Individuality

Safety

(I feel like I need to add a little side note here to say that I searched on thesaurus to find the values I related to which had broadest definitions to narrow this down. I think that’s like double cheating maybe haha)

I found it really helpful, though very difficult to do this activity again. It would be interesting to see how much they’ve changed (if they have) since I last did this.

@Maggie Thanks heaps for sharing that image. I had a dig around some of this theory as I hadn’t come across it before. I found this here that (long story short) explains the diagram/theory as being that the top half represents anxiety-free values motivatied by growth and the bottom half as anxiety-driven values motivated by security. The left and right sides represent values with a personal focus (left) and values with a social focus (right).

I really enjoyed thinking about this perspective and it helped me consider what might motivate me/us to have certain values or act in certain ways. I also thought that a lot of the clashes I experience might stem from a clash in personal and social focused values too. There’s probably something in that to work with.

I am realising that my quest to find a simple, actionable, practical answer on how to “do” values clashes was perhaps a bit of a stretch ;). I am really enjoying the food for thought and the learning here though. I’m going to have a look around to sort through some of what’s out there on values conflicts.

So much food for thought. for sure @eth , @CheerBear , @Maggie , @Teej , @Amour_Et_Psyché 

That was such an interesting article @Maggie. So much in it to think about. I feel like I could read that (and the other you shared) many times over and learn something new each time. Thanks heaps for sharing.

I agree @Shaz51. There's a lot to think about if you want to go there!

That’s how I felt when I read it too @CheerBear . Learn something new each time I re read.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance