Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

florencefifty
Senior Contributor

Working on a long weekend.

I really wish there was a way around it.

I'm working eight hours today, on a later shift. Our company only closes on federal public holidays, not state public holidays. I mean I totally get it. It's not a public holiday in Victoria, so customers from Victoria are going to expect us to be open and treat it like a normal day. In fact, that's where most of the calls are probably going to come from. It's probably going to be alarmingly quiet, and they might consider sending people home early. My interim manager at the time said "it's the easiest money you'll ever make." 

The unfortunate thing is, though, I have plans. My niece is turning forty days old, so we have a party and a barbeque to celebrate. It's a traditional thing. I don't know if they do this any more, but they used to isolate babies until they were forty days old, because there's so many things they can catch outside. So at forty days, they celebrate the baby being stronger than before.

I really wish I could join my family. I can join them at lunch, but still.

My other niece has been living with us full-time because my sister has gone back to work, and since she moved in, I get the appeal of working from home. Last time I mentioned that she was scared of me. Now that she lives with us, she must be used to me, because we have hit it off. It only took seven and a half months.

I'm going to be smelling the delicious food from downstairs, and knowing I have to work. It's very sad. I would say they should bring in a system where if you have to work on a public holiday, you get the next day off, but that would be unfair on my colleagues. Tomorrow is going to be ungodly busy, because people who thought we were closed today are going to call us back.

Have you ever had to work on a day where you really should have been off, and how did you cope?

1 REPLY 1

Re: Working on a long weekend.

I am working 10 hours today @florencefifty and just about to start. 

How do I cope? Quite looking forward to it as I know it will be much quieter and it will give me a chance to catch up on a few reports as well as the dreaded filing.

Hope your day day turns out better than expected. 🌞

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance