Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

NatureLover
Community Elder

What do you guys do when people mock mental illness?

I went out to lunch yesterday with an old friend, and he's recently got engaged. I've known his fiancee for about 4 years, since he met her; she came to the lunch too, obviously. I don't have much in common with her, and yesterday, she was mocking MI (mental illness) and germophobia (OCD) in particular. It wasn't my germophobia she was mocking - I think she forgot about that - she does know about it. It was in the context of someone at her workplace, but it was very uncomfortable. She went on and on about it, or it seemed that way to me anyway. 

I don't like it when people mock other people, about anything. I know she doesn't understand germophobia, but she did suffer depression when her mother died...I would have thought she'd be kinder about MI. She was looking right at me when she was doing the mocking, expecting me to agree with her!! Agree about mocking germophobia to a germophobe?! Germophobia is very distressing and very hard to treat. I didn't pull her up on it as I didn't think that was kind to her in that particular discussion context, I just listened; but now I think maybe I should have spoken up gently. I usually do stand up for MH issues in my volunteer workplace or with friends. 

What do you guys do when people mock or go off about MI (in general) to you? I'd be interested to hear.

P.S. I am quite open about my 6 MIs to everyone, mainly as I don't have the energy to hide them these days. Plus my workplace is not paid, only volunteer. Please don't feel bad if you are not open about yours and therefore don't want to speak up to other people about MI in general. What's good for me might not be good for you. 

18 REPLIES 18

Re: What do you guys do when people mock mental illness?

Oh dear @NatureLover  that would have been a very uncomfortable lunch! I am sorry you had to sit through that.

I work with someone who mocks people for attempting or completing suicide! I find this person very uncomfortable to be around and try to avoid being in any conversation that isn’t work related.

I hope you are ok after what must have been a very uncomfortable lunch outing.

💛💛💛

OMG @Eve7 , are you serious??!! They mock people who've attempted suicide?! 😯 That person at your work is...I won't say, but they need help! 

Thanks for your kind words ❤

Yes I’m serious @NatureLover  says people are just jumping on the band wagon!!!

(TW: Suicide)

My problem is just the opposite: I've found it effectively impossible to get people to laugh at me; to the point where I've pretty much given up even trying.

People seem to be determined to wield me as an implement to inflict misery upon one another with. Makes me really wonder what the rationale is for me abstaining from suicide, because isn't that the whole issue? That if I kiII myself, I'll get transformed in to this ugly, misery-inflicting discussion topic that my family will wield against one another ad infinitum to inflict depression upon one another, along with anyone else they encounter?

So what's the point in abstaining if their using us like that, anyway? Makes no sense.

For me, mocking isn't a bad thing, because when we turn someone or something into something that the world laughs at, we turn them into something good, that spreads laughter and joy upon the world. Something we genuinely appreciate, not tollerate.That's the sort of thing I've always wanted to be: an implement for laughter and delight. Because in this ugly, depressing, pointless world we're trapped in; humanity needs all the laughter and delight it can possibly conjure.

When the regime of the day declares: "Thou must not mock this person! Thou must always feel sullen and depressed about them!" That's when you become condemned to a lifetime of being something ugly, that you don't want to be. For me, it's that taboo against mocking that is the greatest evil.

But I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with that (for reasons that escape me).

Sorry you had to go through that @NatureLover. Hope you are ok? 

That’s just so wrong @Eve7. One of my work mates knows a little of what’s going on with me and when I told him that I have suicidal thoughts he told me that was stupid. But then he said sorry it’s hard when he doesn’t really understand. 

That's so sad @NatureLover - but do you think the 'mocking' is more so amongst the older generation because of what it was like when they grew up (e.g. instituationalisation, straight jackets)? 

If anything, I find amongst the younger generation, it's almost 'cool' to say they have anxiety or depression. It seems to be openly spoken about around teens nowadays. I was speaking to a mother only recently and she, who is an older parent, said "Yeah, and my daughter has anxiety. Only, her anxiety happens when it's convenient for her." It was said in such a mocking way....

So yeah @Captain24 @NatureLover @chibam @Eve7 - is it a generation thing?

@chibam - You've raised some interesting points there.

For me, when people mock about MH, inside, I often say "Wait till it hits them or their loved one."

@NatureLover @chibam @tyme something to think about cause I haven’t experienced this only with people I’ve open d up to but I guess hiding behind medical condition can only last so long.

I hope I have some answers soon

@NatureLover  this is a hard one and it depends on who else is around if it is people who are aware of my mental health or who wouldnt be judgemental i would call them out about it but if it was a situation where it wasnt safe to reveal my own mental health issues then i would keep quiet and ignore them and try not to talk to them much after. i always find it hard because people who make fun of these thing will often also be the sort of person to defend their actions instead of reflect upon them so calling them out is likely going to result in an argument in which i would be forced to reveal my own struggles so for that reason i only engage when it is safe to do so.  

I'm hearing you @Eden1919  🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance