Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Walking for Wellness

..what's a shopping jeep @Dimity sorry?
I have a car. Just trying to get exercise

@TAB a shopping jeep is a cart or a big bag on a frame with wheels. I have a 2 wheeler I can pull and a bigger 4 wheeler I can push. I always use one as I don't have a car and it's a good way to combine walking with shopping. My local supermarket is about a 20 min walk each way but I don't walk very fast.

Ok thanks 😊 for info @Dimity I had No Idea. Sorry.

No problem @TAB . I often see them on the bus.

Hello @Oaktree , @Dimity , @Former-Member , @TAB , @Jimbo2 , @Captain24

and others reading this thread

I've been looking through the posts on the "Walking for Wellness" thread and it appears that you are are supporting each other in the walking activities. Walking hasn't been one of the features of most days for me. Partly a case of not realising what I have until I lose the capacity.

In the last couple of days I've been helping a friend with fitting a new gearbox support mount. The engine is out, so the gearbox needed to be supported while we maneouvered the support cross-member out of the vehicle, fitted the mount and tried to replace it all. Now most of this is done while lying underneath the vehicle on the garage floor. Our attempts to get the cross-member reinstalled and the mount attached to the gearbox, using a range of options, ended in frustration. It turned out that the after-market mount did not have the same distance between bolt holes and therefore would not fit. The difference betwween the two mounts was about 2mm on each side, but even that caused the difficulties. So, my friend was able to order an original spec. mount from the dealer and will, I believe, be able to get a refund on the other.

The reason for that explanation is that I do get some of my exercise on my back, on a garage floor, under a vehicle. I suppose that is not really consistent with the intention of this thread though. The difficulty I had was getting up, once I was down.

@Former-Member, that might be reassuring for you. we can't all do everything in the same ways.

@TAB, I really liked the photo of the creek under the trees. Although the environment may be very different, it remimded me of creeks in the Tamborine Mountain area of Queensland, when I was a child. Also, of areas of Northeastern Victoria as a teenager. Pleasant reflections. {Pun intended}

@Dimity, I hope that the activity with the family was as pleasant as it sounded in your writing. Sometimes, the bus trip home can allow room for some pleasant reflections. I hope that it was so for you.

@Jimbo2, and @Captain24 , we haven't had much, if any interaction. I hope that the interactions on the forum have been interesting and supportive for you both.

With the intention of also getting more exercise

Cheers to All for now

@HenryX 

Guess it was captive nuts on crossmember @HenryX ? Die grinder or a sharp file could have been the go . Anyways. Yeah water fascinates me as grew up in SA so there wasnt any lol

Hello @HenryX it's nice to hear from you. I'm glad you're keeping active. It sounds as though the gearbox replacement was an intellectual challenge as well as a physical one.

I've walked every day this week and am starting to feel the rhythm of walking sometimes... I must be improving. 

Yes, I very much enjoyed that rare catchup with a couple of family. I've continued to reflect on it and hope we can repeat it before too long. 

I'm hoping @Oaktree is OK, she hasn't posted here for several days. 

Hello @TAB , and @Dimity 

and hopefully @Oaktree and others reading this thread.

Yes @TAB , my friend was looking for the right spanner for the 8 nuts on the upper side of the cross-member, that he thought had been rounded off. I asked whether he had simply tried unscrewing the bolts, to which he replied "No". I suggested doing so, after which he exclaimed, "Oh". Sure enough, captive nuts welded onto the upper bracket. As it happens that was the easy part. Those bolts went straight back as they were supposed to do. The problem was that the after-market rubberised gearbox mounting had the holes drilled 2 mm off centre on each side from where they were supposed to be. The cross-member went in great but the mounting could not be bolted to the gearbox. New original part mounting ordered and after-market one to be refunded.

I love streams and lakes, particularly a nice spot like the one in your picture. As you would be aware, not a lot of spots like that north of Perth, except for a very short period following a winter rain. If it is summer rain, everthing around is still dry and brown.

@Dimity, Thanks for your note. I keep promising that I will get out and "do some exercise". It's just as well someone comes along and gets me doing something that keeps me a least a little active, even if it is just getting up off the garage floor. Pleased to hear that you are finding a rhythm in your walking style.

Regarding family, there are a couple of special people with whom I would like to arrange to share some time. Telephone into action to arrange. Pleased to know that your catchup with family was pleasant and may be the reason for more regular meetings.

Likewise, I am hoping that @Oaktree is ok. I noticed a few days ago that she had said that some unwelcome news had arrived. Sincerely hope that it is not too serious.

For Now

Best Wishes

@HenryX 

Sounds like abugger @HenryX hopefully bushes were right way round etc who knows 2mm doesn't sound like a lot if it Had to go together. Anyway better safe than sorry guess.
Um murchison supposed to be green near sea? Not seen it.
That creek connects so Swan River eventually lol . So many dams it's barely a trickle. I was surprised to here people saying pilbara dry. Well I worked on rail bridges so always a river there lol. By end of September some we're getting pretty dry, turning into pools

Hi @TAB 

Yep, it is just fiddly. The mount is "under-slung" at the centre-front of the gearbox, with two bolts front and rear on either side of the gearbox. There is no difference in the mount front to back. We could have drilled the holes by the amount required, however, that would have weakened the attachment area. The two possible issues to consider were:

1.) Modifying a manufactured component and the possible legal and insurance ramifications if there were ever to be an accident and the modification found to have, in any way, contributed.

2.) If the product is modified, it cannot be returned to the provider as not meeting requirements.

Fortunately, the original Toyota branded part was the same price as the after-market one and the aftermarket people were prepared to offer post paid return and refund. So the only effect was a delay of a few days in what has been a fairly long job anyway, due to work commitments of friend. I wasn't party to the original purchases, just asked for advice on removal of an older '85 model Toyota 4WD petrol engine and replacement with a 2010 Ford Barra inline six engine.

{The Barra is a name for the engine range, including the inline-6 and SOHC V8 in the Ford Australia Falcon between 2002 and 2016. The inline-6 engines are unique to the Australian manufactured Falcon and Territory and were developed and manufactured in Geelong, Victoria. Wikipedia}

Cheers, @HenryX 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance