Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

M_P90
Senior Contributor

Trauma Responses?

Hi all! 

I have C-PTSD and recently have worked super hard to get my eating disorder (ED) into remission. I used ED behaviours to tune out of my trauma so here I am being knocked by it with no crutch!! I can only describe these trauma responses as either being a car crash. Time seems to slow down but also speed up, I can't think and there's this almost screeching, metalic noise. I feel out of control, even though realistically I am in control, especially these days I'm very good at managing it without impacting my goals negatively. But it friggin sucks, and I wonder if anyone can resonate with this? I find it so hard to explain to people. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Trauma Responses?

Hi, @M_P90 , sorry to hear 😞

I am impressed that you've managed to subdue your ED - wow, very difficult, well done. 

Am also impressed that you're facing your trauma, huge kudos to you. It's very painful, I know. But it's the way through to some healing. 

I hope you're walking through this with some professional help/counselling? I think you are...Sorry if I can't remember, my memory is shot these days.

Good Evening @M_P90 ,

I can certainly relate to what you are describing. 

I've had various traumas in my life so that pretty much, I'd find myself reacting negatively to everyday occurrences.

It was a bit of a process, but with my therapist, I underwent exposure therapy to desensitise me from my fears. Not that my fears are not longer there, but now, I don't jump into fight/flight/freeze mode. I am more in control which means I can make a difference to how I want to behave.

I'm not sure if I am on the right track. My therapist started the work, and I had to continue it at home on my own.

tyme

Yeah, it's rough.  For me there's almost like this crunching sensation in my bones, if that makes sense?  Everything feels raw and painful, which is just plain uncomfortable!  I get that we're supposed to say 'how interesting!' and not run away from it, but that's a really hard thing to do.  You're doing amazing.  I've been trying to face my own trauma lately but comforting/soothing myself with 'problem behaviours'. 😞  Going to try and schedule in some pleasant activities for myself to try to stop myself from indulging in problem behaviours again. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance