Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Zoe7
Community Guide

Supporting Teachers

In these really uncertain times I felt it a good time to show some support here for our teachers - we have many here on the forum and every day they put aside their own issues, their own mental health struggles and their own lives in order to care and educate our nations kids. 

Currently teachers all around Australia are 'holding the fort' and putting their own health at risk by being present at schools to keep educating our children. The government keeps saying that schools are the best place for kids on advice from the heath authorities but nowhere in the discussion has the health of our teachers been voiced. We are not robots and although we willingly get up each day and present to work as usual there are very real risks for teachers just as there are anyone else in the community.

Social distancing is just not possible in schools - try having 30 kids in a room only large enough to accommodate 20 - but we continue to give care and concern to all our kids and continue to provide them with rich learning tasks that both engage and challenge them.

It is not just the physical wellbeing of teachers that need to be considered - the mental strain of the uncertainty, the continual changes, the questions and challenges all have an affect. We are not just educators for our kids - and that is never so apparent than in these uncertain times. Each day we are needing to answer questions as best we can on what is happening, listen to the worries of our kids, deal with their own anxiety around what is happening and still motivate them to focus and learn.

Whilst I personally would not give up my job for anything - and would be at work even if given the choice - I also feel that our health and safety is actually being put in the 'too hard basket' or 'head in the sand' category because the government knows without the schools still functioning then the wider societal implications are immeasurable ...therefore all the recommendations being implemented and encouraged everywhere else are overlooked because it suits the government to do so.

To all the teachers I simply say thank you ....we do not do it for the money, the reognition or the holidays - we do it for our kids and for that reason we continue to turn up to work everyday despite the risk to ourselves. So please remember the risks we are taking personally to do so to care for your kids.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Supporting Teachers

Yes , very well said my sister @Zoe7 

Way to go TeachersHeart

And there are a few teachers here too 

I'm an OOSH Educator studying to be a Teacher. Thank you for this post. I am mentally drained and scared for my health at the moment but we do it for the kids. The appreciation means the world. 

@Zoe7 

It is a scary time for the world right now @KawaiiLife Smiley Sad

It is impossible for teachers and other educators to maintain distance with kids - especially the younger ones - so every day we are right in the line of fire. ...and I refuse to push away a sad or unhappy kid who just needs a hug!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance