Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

Picked up two packs of gladioli bulbs today,  one is called "black stallion"  and is a dark red, the other lot are pure white. 

@Smc  I miss the ability to burn my unwanted green waste. Especially as our council charges absurd amounts for green waste dumping then mulches it and sells the byproduct.  

Bonus of burning where we were was the resultant ash was great for top dressing and building up the ground. Grass was noticeably greener during dry spells where ash had been spread than areas without. 

@Determined, our woodbox ashes get spread around the garden. I used to save them for pottery glaze making, but ended up with too much. Am currently burning the neighbours' walnut tree branches, and walnut makes an excellent glaze, so I'm planning on spreading around the "old" ashes in the kiln shed, and storing up the walnut ash for "whenever" I get back to it.

Pleased with my efforts today, have potted up the bulbs purchased today along with all the plants brought with us from our old garden.

I got a little bit done today. Some weeding, repotted some Asiatic Lillies, potted up a bare rooted crab apple that I'd had heeled in. The spot I want to grow it in isn't ready, and if I plant it without removing a nearby stump followed by proper soil preparation... yeah, I'll regret it later.

Also replanted some self seeded white Chrysanthemums (paludosum, I think) from another garden where some had come up on a path. Not sure if they're all Chrysies, or if some of them will turn out to be carefully relocated weeds. 😛 As long as some are the right ones.

How are you going @Sheila ?

Hi @Former-Member ,

Im ok thanks. It still gets me down when my son tells me every day how miserable he is. I know exactly why he is, but he wont listen. He is wasting his young life on a toxic "relationship". I try not to give him advise any more as he throws it back at me. All I can do is love him.  Which is easier said than done sadly. 

My little veggie patch has been a bit neglected lately..I must sort it out on the weekend. The endless sunshine has been lovely, but we really need rain. Thanks for checking on me 😊 

It is tough @Sheila .

Loved your orchid analogy in your thankfulness thread @PlantLady . 

Picked up a pack of red lilium bulbs and a pack each of red and orange gladioli. Potted these up today and added them to the collection. 

Hello @Sheila and @PlantLady  xxxx 

my succulents are growing , need to re pot them

one of my customer has succulennts growing in every kind of dish and ornaments you can think of

they look really good == have to do that too

@Former-Member, @Sheila , @Smc , @Determined , @Maggie , @Ppp , @Mrsjones , @Former-Member 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance