Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

The plan was for something like this (size to suit) but will check out your pics when they arrive for anything eaiser 🙂 

Its would not be a hard job, just finding the motivation, 

Wire basket.JPG

@Determined 

I put 4-5 short bits of bamboo stakes around some carpet roses I put in that were being scratched at. That did the job until the plants were big enough for the chooks to ignore.

@Determined, my Dad has a stockpile of old bike parts, including wheels, tucked away behind his shed. Many are too rusty to be restored, some, if restored, would be snapped up by vintage bicycle enthusiasts. (Or maybe even unrestored?)
I'd love to bring the "beyond use" ones back here to use in the garden, but I'm not sure if we can justify hauling them 400 kms. Perhaps we can fit them in when we've got a load of other stuff ready to go and have room for some "gap fillers". The contemporary equivalent of ships' ballast.
(Early sailing ships coming out to Australia and elsewhere used to load up the goods they needed for the trip, then add heavy material as ballast which could be sold for a profit once they reached port, but if they needed to offload to ride out a storm, it wasn't so valuable that they'd regret dumping it. This is why there's English flint along the Shipwreck coast down near Warnambool, and how European timbers ended up being available in major port cities as building materials.)

Today is a milder day and after a little bit of rain this week it is nice to get out into the garden. Mainly tidying up and mulching the beds but will probably proceed with moving some plants to better spots. It will make the garden look a little nicer for prospective home buyer.

Have officially planted my first garlic and tree onions for the season. Lots more still to put in, but yay....

Coming soon, sweet peas. 😄 And some edible ones too, if I can work out some way to keep the wallabies from getting them all before we do.

Some celery plants potted on today. They started in a punnet, then went into little-ish pots to grow on, now three more of them are in big pots. And I picked the outer stems that were looking a little bit sad for tonight's dinner. They tasted happier than they looked. 🙂

Also somewhat tidied up a pile of potential firewood (good sized branches that need to be cut to length). In doing so, I was able to collect the dry leaves that had fallen off their twigs to bulk out the bottom of the celery pots, along with some green garden waste and bunny/guinea pig poo.

And dug up some kikiyu from a bed needing a drastic makeover. I'm trying to get some out every day, and I'm feeding it to the animals.

@Smc  an old magazine rack repurposed 😀.

images (74).jpeg

Cute. 🙂 My Dad has a similar vintage one in his room at the aged care home. It's been around the house for as long as I can remember, so probably a 1960's item.
I'm sort of wanting to keep it in the long term, but probably for indoor use. Maybe not for magazines. I can imagine it making a good craft caddy.

Back to gardening... I harvested the last of my pot grown shallots today. Will use some of the very yummy little bulbs in cooking, and replant the biggest and healthiest ones. Also planted some Elephant Garlic in a pot, topped up the soil in a bed using some of the leftover composted stuff from the shallot pots, and delighted the chooks with the impressive-in-totally-the-wrong-way cluster of slugs I found in the base of the pot... ewww.

Trying to think ahead a bit. Winter will be here soon, there will be some days when it's wet and/or cold, the sun has already set, and if I want fresh greens or herbs with dinner, it won't be a pleasant going around the garden to collect them. So I've cleared weeds out of a small bed near the back door. It's under a plum tree, so things I've planted there haven't done so well in competition. Solution- more potted vegs. 🙂 Some parsley, lemon balm, silverbeet, celery, a brocolli plant and a kale plant, plus a few flowers. I want to add spring onions, and maybe some more greens. All things which I can pick a bit off when I want it and leave the plant to regrow.

Loving your fish pond @Carlachris

@Smc  well done you,  Mr Darcy has been the sole labourer at our place - he got a bit more weeding done this week. Thankfully we are expecting some rain over the next few days, had a little this morning with heavier falls expected tomorrow. 

Our camellia hedge has benefited from an earlier fertilising,  the flowers have just started and there are heaps of buds, hoping for a good display. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance