Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

images (24).jpeg

May I suggest this to our neighbours, @Former-Member? I've never got as many autumn leaves as I'd like, and they make such great garden mulch. 😉
I have in the past collected walnut leaves from next door, but last year they wanted them for their own compost. Interesting thing is, fresh walnut leaves, twigs etc. are weed suppresant. So they're great on mulched paths, with a layer of pine needles or suchlike over the top so they're not too slippery. After a year or two of composting in place, they've lost their weed suppresant qualities, and are a great source of leaf mould instead.

Former-Member
Not applicable

@peony  I am wondering if you are a gardener given your floral name and avatar.

Former-Member
Not applicable

41630680_432522180604739_2893440662235831173_n.jpg

It is now that time of year when spring flowering bulbs need to go in.hyacinth-pin.jpg

images (39).jpeg

We are having a problem in our garden at the moment. darling is trying to plant some new flowering plants but every afternoon when the chooks get let out they dig everything out. stupid animals. If they were not MIL's babies and it was up to me they would be compost by now, FIL and darling are reluctant to do anything about it as they were MILs babies. 

Another job for determined. I plan to make some wire baskets to go over the plants to protect them them. something that looks nice rather than just laying wire netting over top which is what FIL wants to do which looks terrible when we have such a nice garden, 

@Determined, I grab second hand wire fruit baskets for that purpose. They'll only cover one or two plants each, but you often can pick them up for a couple of dollars in op shops. Old bird cages without the bases look nice and rustic too, but are rarely cheap..cheep...???

images.jpg

Cant see the pic yet @Smc  but sounds like a good idea. may well be easier also.

I was considering something similar to a bird cage but smaller. or in varying sizes depending on the size of the plant.  Waiting on the pics. 

I will have to go to the dump shop and buy back some of the birdcages I dumped if they are still there. That will amuse my mum no end as she told me they were too good to throw away lol. 

Another wondering- and very "in theme" for you- a scaled down version of this, maybe just three wheels in a triangular pyramid, with old sprockets filling in the gaps....

FS6D0UVH3Z3KR1S.LARGE.jpg

Haha you would not beleive how many wheels I dumped when we moved also.

All the stuff I could get away with where we were but not where we are now.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance