Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

ha ha me too @Former-Member , op shopping again Smiley LOL

Smiley Very Happy @Former-Member!

The one thing that might be of concern in that display is whether or not the pots have drainage holes in them. Succulents well and truly need good drainge, or they'll rot. So you may want to buy a drill with a masonry bit while you're at it.

Hubby needed to get some hardware today... needless to say, a few plants from the garden section followed me home. 😛 A Stevia and a pot of chamomile off the reduced trolley, a cute orange miniature rose, and a pack of Iris reticulata bulbs. They're like mini Dutch Irises. The rose and the Stevia have been repotted into bigger pots, and the Stevia's going into the greenhouse. It's very frost tender. The chamomile has been planted out, the irises will have to wait until another day (sometime soon).

Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 5.09.51 pm.png

Got it @Smc masonry drill bits! The possibilities are endless. Thanks for the distraction, not well today.

Heart @Former-Member.

The garden's my favourite retreat when I'm having a hard day. Sometimes I have to push myself to get out there, but I know it helps. Even if it doesn't completely lift my mood, at least at the end of the day I can say I've achieved something.

Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 6.37.20 pm.png

images (27).jpeg

20210428-211451_1.jpegSpeaking of Potts & Succulents, how cool is this bird feeder idea? 

Smc, I feel better after clicking around outside too. Just gotta prioritise it. I found a cast iron rocking chair on Gumtree and so it's comfe to sit out there with a cuppa now. I've got a little posting garden thing happening. Paraley ansvherbs, succulents are so easy to strike. Need to go Bunnings, buy more dirt. You're right, we gotta make ourself do these self care things. You sound like you battle depression too a bit. Know you worry about your daughter a lot. How can you not. It's chilly here today, cold wind, but could be good to doo some potting today as rain forecast for weekend 🌸🌱🌸🌱🌸 

@Former-Member, yeah, depression is a biggie. Can't let it win though. 🙂

There's been times when my feelings have been so derailed that a gorgeous burst of spring flowers has made me feel like crying instead of smiling. As if the brain says "Ohh... big emotion...must be THIS 😞 one" and sets the wrong sequence rolling. But you can't let the wrong sequence keep rolling on and I try to find ways to tell my silly brain "Nah, you've got it wrong... THIS 🙂 one".

And just the sheer demotivation of it! Which is why it makes a difference if I can see something I have achieved at the end of the day.

Our forecast for the coming week is fairly mild, low twenties, but dropping back to mid teens in the middle of the week. BUT nighttime temperatures are mild for the whole outlook, so the tomatoes get to hold on just a little bit longer. I'm hoping one pumpkin still on the vine will get time to mature, one of my zuchinnis is still bearing, the other is finished so I chopped it out yesterday. Also dug up my little 600g harvest of sweet potatoes. Not really a cost efficient plant, but it was fun. I've potted up the smaller roots and trimmed back stems in the hope that they might last out winter in my greenhouse. If they do, next year's crop might actually add up to more $$value than I paid for the plant. 😛

@Smc- haven't heard it put that way before... "wrong sequencing" - its  like a default to sad 😟
- "derailed feelings"
- crying over happy things
My sis & I have often been bewildered how we burst into tears when someone is kind to us, shows. understanding. My new  antidepressant seems to keep a lid on my feelings nowadays. Cry less. But ya riight, we can't let the wrong sequence keep rolling on... have to remind brain "Nah, you've got it wrong... THIS 🙂 WAY"

Love that! 👍
😴

Hey, you're  very adventurous with sweet potatoes👍

Hope they're teaching Kidz to grow vegies more in school these days. It's quite involved.

I've gotta repot my rosemary. Just Drilled holes in a big pot I found on roadside, just gotta go get diirt now. Felt cuffed to see a climbing geranium cutting is finally sprouting (taking) - made me smile 🤗

If possible I am hoping to have flowering plants in lieu of cut flowers at Mr Darcy's memorial service which I can then use in our garden. 

Heart @Former-Member. That makes sense to me- an ongoing memorial.

If possible, my sister and I would like to use some flowers from Mum and Dad's garden for their funerals. In an ideal world, we'd have the house sold before then, but in all honestly, that looks unlikely to come about...

The flowers we used at Mr Darcy's memorial service included potted dwarf sunflowers 🌻. He was remembered for the joy and enthusiasm with which he tackled life (for the most part) and I felt these plants were a reflection of that. I am hoping that I will be able to save some seed from them and that they will grow true to type.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance