Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Shaz51
Community Guide

Physical Activity and Mental Health

we had a great topic tuesday last night 

Topic Tuesday // Physical Activity and Mental Health // Tues 6th July, 7:00-8:30PM AEST 

so we are continuing on this thread 

@Peregrinefalcon@Daisydreamer , @Former-Member 

@Adge@Alicat@frog@Eve7@Kayekaye@Fluttershy1@smiling@Forumuser@Oaktree@apc@eth@StuF@Judi9877@Emelia8@Anastasia@Appleblossom , @Former-Member , @bipolarbunny@Gwynn@tilly22@greenpea@Arizona@Determined@Poppyfriend543@Olly@BPDSurvivor@BlueBay 

Being active and the benefits for mental health
Being active is about more than physical health. We are seeing that mental health and emotional wellbeing are also improved as a result of regular physical activity.

Physical activity can mean any body movement that requires you to use energy. This could include walking, gardening, team sport, yoga, pilates, weights and dancing. Whether you are thinking of building more activity into your day, or already keeping active, join us to talk about the role activity plays in your mental health journey.

This discussion will talk about the benefits of physical activity on wellbeing, how we stay motivated, explore the barriers to getting active, and create a list of activities you might like to try!

25 REPLIES 25

Re: Physical Activity and Mental Health

@Shaz51 Awesome Shazzy! Thanks for the tag sweetie xx

I'm about to jump on my bike for an easy spin. Love being able to exercise to help my headspace and stop my old bones from seizing up. The joints don't like this cold weather too much so need to warm up!

BB 🐰💙

Hi @Shaz51 and anyone else reading here.

For me it's tai chi and I'm quite hooked on it..  Twice a week most weeks.  Incorporates Qi Gong too.  Physical, mental and spirit benefits - words are not enough to say how profoundly I feel all this when I do it.  Encourage others to give it a try.  

Going to do a short bike ride later for my headspace and then do an hour's practice on guitar. --- way to go @bipolarbunny , enjoy xx

I have vacummed the house , the washing is done so far 

that is wonderful @eth Heart

I used to do Line Dancing which was really good 

@Shaz51 Great work Shazzy, nothing gets me sweating like vacuuming! Clean up day tomorrow for me, maybe 🤔 

@eth I taught martial arts for over 30 years, Taekwondo. Whilst there is the very active kicking sport/side, I personally enjoyed doing the poomsae best (like kata). Can definitely identify with the empowerment! Whilst I no longer train formally. I've been thinking of trying something new, my therapist actually suggested Tai Chi, hmmm might be a good fit??!

BB 🐰💙

hello @Poppyfriend543 , how are you today 

no work here today @bipolarbunny for us , it is raining 

Hi Shaz51, I'm going ok today been trying out a few new things for the veggie garden we have got started. Haven't really done anything else today, hard to find motivation to get moving in the cooler months!

Vege garden sounds like a great idea @Poppyfriend543 What things are you thinking of 

My day has been very quiet too , even had a sleep this afternoon  xx 

Another cyclist @bipolarbunny 

Do you only do Indoor trainer  or do you get out on the road also? 

@Eve7 also mentioned spending time on the indoor trainer.

I cycle with my wife (aka my darling) both Indoor trainer and oit on the road.

Having withdrawals at the moment lol as we are away from home.

Darling is talking about a ride when we get home (that will be  6-7 hour drive depending on road works). 

Not sure I am quite that keen. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance