Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Clr89148l6
New Contributor

Not knowing how and when to talk about DID and C-PTSD

First time poster. 
I was diagnosed with DID and C-PTSD a number of years ago. 
There are a handful of people who know about the DID.
Over time I've become better at understanding, navigating, and protecting my system which I am proud of myself for. 

However because of my trauma history I've never liked secrets and surprises. 
I want to be able to be more open about my DID because I want to be transparent, but there is an element of fear. 
In the past, when I started telling people whom I trust about DID I did have some alters lash out defensively. 
I'm caught between wanting to be more honest and open as a person but knowing there might be challenging repercussions I might not always be co-conscience for. 

Because I understand my DID system better I am often more introverted or reclusive because I don't know how certain alters will respond in certain space and I don't want to dysregulate and 'out' myself.

I've previously told one workplace about C-PTSD and I've refrained from doing it since due to unkind management. 
I am further challenged by the fact I work with children who have trauma so I am worried that if I tell my current workplace in the interest of transparency, that they may not deem me fit for my job. 
This means that when I fill out workplace forms about any pre-existing medical conditions I put 'none' because of the stigma. 
I do this to protect myself but again, it feelings like uncomfortably keeping a secret. 

Do you have any recommendations on how, when, and whom to have conversations about DID 
and/or C-PTSD with people in your life and have you found it more helpful or harmful?

Thank you for your advice. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Not knowing how and when to talk about DID and C-PTSD

Welcome to the forums @Clr89148l6 ,

Thank you for reaching out to the community about what is currently happening for you.

I was only reading dissociation yesterday. Here's a link to factsheets about dissociation - I guess that's a start? I can't say I know a wealth about it. But hopefully the community can support you.

https://blueknot.org.au/resources/blue-knot-fact-sheets/trauma-related-experiences/emotions-and-arou...

All the best,

tyme

You know, I'm wrestling with questions of disclosure. My AVPD diagnosis is relatively recent. I've disclosed it to people but, like you, don't know when and where to formally disclose. A major feature of AVPD is fear of judgement so, seems at least, disclosing is either the best or the worst thing to do.

It's worth saying that the world is coming around more and more to valuing lived experience as a job skill. I'm willing to bet it gives you considerable carer strengths.

When it comes to the how, my experience is it's always a bit of a game of "Hotter Colder" or "Marco Polo". A process where they try to work out what assumptions they should and shouldn't be assuming. Unless if the other person just wants to assume. Then there can be problems.

...maybe that's actually my best answer for the question of "when". Maybe it's all about assessing how much information they're able to handle (and how much explaining you're willing to do to make up the difference).

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance