Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Arizona
Senior Contributor

Need help making a decision

I need help with making an important decision. I need to apply for a transfer with the Office of Housing, to move to another house, but I don't know where I want to live. I'm extremely anxious about it.

I have been living in an area of regional Victoria for the past 10 years and I'm very unhappy here. I'm unhappy with my housing agency, my neighbours and the house itself.

I'm not sure if I'm unhappy with the area or just those other factors. Maybe if I was financially independent, and I didn't have to live in an Office of Housing house, and deal with the crappy, non-existent services here, I would like it. I don't know.

This area is like a redneck backwater in terms of services.

Before this I had never lived in a block of units (on a shared property), I had always had my own house, and I absolutely hate it. And I had never had any problems with my neighbours before I moved here.

Ideally I would like to live in rural Victoria in a quiet area with lots of space (I have no problem driving long distances to see my therapist in Melbourne).

But my therapist thinks it will be too isolating for me and she thinks I should live closer to Melbourne. She thinks I will have more/better access to mental health services and support living closer to Melbourne. 

I haven't lived close to Melbourne for many years and I think I would hate it. I think it would be too stressful for me because there are so many people and there is so little space and so much noise. I need open space and quiet. 

And I don't know if I would find better (mental health) support living closer to Melbourne. Maybe these days mental health services are just sh*tty everywhere? 

The problem is, with my depression, I have no passion or enthusiasm for life and I have no idea where I want to live. 

Sometimes I try to work out where I want to live by asking myself "If I won Tattslotto, and I could live anywhere I wanted, where would I want to live?" but nothing comes to me.

I know that I would like a bigger house where I could have more dogs but that's about it.

I would be very grateful for your help.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Need help making a decision

Also, my therapist thinks I should be planning for my future. But I find it impossible to think like that right now. I'm having a mental breakdown (that has been coming on for a long time) and I can barely look after myself.

@Arizona  seeing that you're unhappy with regional Victoria at the moment, could you apply for somewhere closer to Melbourne, but not actually in Melbourne itself? Maybe the LGAs that are around/ closest to Melbourne? That way it won't be city living...

Good luck...

Hi @Arizona ,

It sounds like there is a lot to consider, and choosing where to live can definitely be a stressful decision to make! One thing that I found useful when deciding where I should move was talking to friends and family. Some had lived or worked in unfamilar parts of Sydney and gave me really good insight into the kinds of homes/apartments in the area; and what services, restaurants/cafes or public transport were available. Those were important factors for me Smiley Happy

Would talking to people in your life about their knowledge of different areas of Melbourne be something useful for you?

Heart from cloudcore

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance