Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Daisydreamer
Senior Contributor

Navigating Centrelink Payments

Hi there SANE Community, 

I have seen a lot of recent discussion about accessing Centrelink Payments, experiences of Centrelink, and some of the challenges that come especially during the application process.

Whether you are currently applying for support, or have been through it before, let's create a space to support each other through the process of accessing financial support. 

Have you applied for support through Centrelink?

What was the experience like for you?

Are there any tips you want to share that might help others?

Are there resources you know of that are helpful?

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Navigating Centrelink Payments

Hi @Flying_Hams and @TAB I have seen a few conversations about centrelink across the forums, and would love to hear your thoughts. TAB, you mentioned you recently able to access support, are there are tips you would give others going through something similar?

very hit and miss I think @Daisydreamer @TAB

When I was studying I had access to the payment. Probably didn't need it at the time but it helped. That's why it was there.

Hi @Daisydreamer @Flying_Hams  I had been on centrelink last few years as my work is inconsistent. Sometimes I dont get anything or much from them. I had problems recently as I cancelled by payment online.Okay I stopped my payments to try and get away from Jobsearch provider who was hassling me  I also thought I had fulltime work.

then I hurt myself again, couldnt work, had no job, had no income and paying heaps for meds.

As I found out recently though, healthcare card is very useful. I didnt realise how many different medications I was buying at $6 ish a go, but sure felt different when paying $20-$40 instead . I was shocked, as last time was off centrelink they let me keep using the card. This time it got cut off the same day that I did lol.

Be  careful when dealing with centrelink, they change the rules all the time and are not very forthcoming about it. Usually finds things have changed when they bite you lol.

There really should be like agents to deal with them on peoples behalf as they are so tricky these days.

If you do something that seemed like a good idea at the time like I did cancelling my benefit, you Cannot undo it, can get cooling off period on just about anything, buying a house, getting a loan, etc, but no do-overs with centerlink.

Anyway , I got back on there, but it was stressful and a hassle and prob lost a couple weeks payments and forked out like $100 extra on meds over a month.

So, guess if thinking about changing things, talk to someone first and ask what the consequences of that might be .

Hi @Flying_Hams, study benefits are really important- having met a lot of students struggling to make ends meet, it can be a real weight off the shoulders. I am really glad to hear that you could access it, and you didn't feel the financial pinch at the time

Thank you so much for sharing @TAB - it sounds like it has been a really confusing and difficult process to stop and start the centrelink payments again. That's really interesting to know the challenges of stopping and starting, and I am sure that insight will be helpful for others here as well. 

When you were able to get them started again, I can imagine there was some self advocacy involved?

The healthcare card is also a really good tip, the savings you had were really substantial with the card- I can imagine the impact when that card was switched off!

I hope the road is smoother for you now that the payments are sorted out again TAB! Nothing is more stressful than being out of work, and not able to access the financial support you need

Hi @Daisydreamer  yes , it did work in the end, it just made no sense to me that there was no option just to undo what I had done.. it was like ha ha we've set a Trap and Gotcha .. lol 

well , the other part to the puzzle was that I never found out whether the liquid assets test still applied, I saw somewhere that if re-apply in under 2 weeks it doesnt apply ? This was never confirmed. But, I still had to supply bank statements for the last Three Months .. they used to take a screen shot from bank app and before that an ATM slip .. 

well, this was an issue as I was over the amount allowed due to drawing my super down and casual work.. 

so I paid a couple months rent in advance and a few other things to get the balance down, also been carrying around an envelope of cash which I Do Not recommend .. just saying what I went through..

, so , as mentioned above there were other traps, the liquid assets thing, the last 3 months banks statements etc, So this is somthing You Really do Not Want to Do lol and I cannot believe that they made this something that you can just log in to mygov anytime and do yourself, especially if  you are not in right frame of mind or fit state etc, especially with regards to No Cooling Off Period.

yes, I went through the motions of saying I was going to appeal (my own action) as they sent silly letter to confirm it afterwards saying it was an Outcome or somesuch Centrelink-speak, so I though well if its an 'outcome' even though I did it, I can appeal it lolo ..

anyway had to get a sick certificate etc, but something stuck, not sure which part and they let me back on it again.

... and ... the jobsearch people kept bothering me while all this was going on.. that was the Whole reason for setting this process in motion ...

told them not on benefits .. dont care

told them sick ..dont care

told them had lodged centrelink sick form 'oh well, thats for them to decide..'

then asked why they were ringing me on a friday when appt was supposed to be tuesday 'oh , you have 2 appointments a week now '.. was News to me .. then oh btw you better give us your jobsearch efforts next week . I raised my voice and told them, look, I'm not on benefits, am sick, have notified centrelink of that, so, its Not Happening ..

So. Rang 1800 number this morning at got myself sent back to the first place (lesser of the 2 evils ) was at. Am in country centre, so there are only 2 choices, A or B lol

Glad it's over now and hopefully no timebombs waiting for me lol

Hey @TAB if you are looking for support with accessing Centrelink payments, and/or making sense of the legislation changes etc, one of the places I've found helpful is the Welfare Rights Centre. They're based in NSW but I believe there are similar legal centres that offer free legal advice on such matters, including debt recovery. 

Economic Justice Australia is another useful contact – they are the peak body for community legal centres in Australia. This is their list of legal centres across Australia who provide free legal advice for Centrelink payments: 
http://www.ejaustralia.org.au/legal-help-centrelink/

I'm sorry you've had such a tough time navigating the system, it certainly can be the opposite of user friendly at times, and I understand the extra stress that can place on people who struggle with their mental health – putting my hand up to say I've been there, and I'm sure there are a few of us in the community who can empathise with your there.

Rhye ☘️

thanks Rhye, it would have been useful had I have known that. Thanks @Rhye 

Yes, always helpful to have these contacts in the moment @TAB. I wasn't aware of these supports till I needed them, but the benefit of you raising it here is that in having this discussion we can support others who may need that assistance in the future.

Wonder if it would be helpful to have a list of advocacy contacts in the forum?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance