Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: My self care motorcycle and photography and boating adventure

Poor bike has been neglected other than commuting. There is a charity ride upcoming that I would like to join if I have caught up on study commitments by ride day.

@Determined 

Hi Determined,

Since I planned on getting out for a ride recently, we have had a cyclone. Such events are very unusual this far south in W.A. However, things are starting to get sorted out. The nearest thing to a ride has been starting the generator. The power has been restored generally, throughout the region, for a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, the connection came off at the house, so my house, among others, has been disconnected from power supply pole till repairs can be made. Local electrician is still flat out. A lot of farms in the area and businesses that are understandibly higher up the prioity level. I can say that it is far more pleasant in town with the businesses functioning, so I am happy with how things are progressing. I suffered relatively small amount of damage; few sheet of roofing iron require replacing and fence to be rebuilt. However, many rooves removed here in this town and others in the path of the cyclone. Kalbarri, to the north suffered a huge amount of damage across the town. Kalbarri is a bit like maroochydore was about 50 years ago.

The dog and I are keeping each other company and relatively happy. This morning I went to a singing session at the local residential aged care centre. A few of us go along for a session for an hour or so before lunch on Thurssdays. It is very pleasant for us, the visitors, and hopefully, the residents. My impression is that they do enjoy the activity with people from outside the establishment.

Having lunch with a friend next week that may involve the "why is he looking at more" type of activity. We'll see.

Best Wishes

HenryX

No power is never fun @HenryX good you still have a roof though. Have seen the devastation on news and it it heart breaking.  We once went 3 ddays without power and stuck at home due to floods (substation under water) and that was not fun with 3 little ones climbing the walls.   Hope things are you sorted as quickly as possible for you and everyone else. 

@Determined 

Hi Determined,

Thank you for your thoughts and wishes. Just had some facia trim replaced today. Now to get the power restored and I should almost be back to status before the cyclone. I think that people in other areas have a better idea of the damage than we do. I have ABC & SBS channels, whereas I can usually receive quite a few more. However, I still consider myself fortunate to have had so little damage, even compared to some other houses in this and other towns. The sides of the regional roads are littered with the trees that were blown down, and have since been dragged to the sides by city and shire personnel and farmers. There are also dead branches hanging in trees that are or will be a safety risk. The clean-up process continues

Thanks again & Cheers

HenryX

Hi @HenryX 

How are things going for you?

Trust things are returned or returning to some form of normality for you.

I went out on my bike this ave for the first time in over 2 months (have been really unwell and  balance challenged so biking has not been an option until now).

It was great!  Had to go and collect one of my boys from a friend's house and ended up taking the scenic rather than direct route home. 

Planning a log ride towards the end of next week if everything goes to plan. 

Screenshot_20210619-171855_Gallery.jpg

Hi @Determined 

Thank you Determined, for your message. I just looked back and it's five weeks since my last note. The power went back on the Monday following that note, after the electrician replaced the connection. Western Power re-connected the power at the pole, checked everything was satisfactory, and switched me on.

It was a fair while that I was using the generator (about seven weeks). I am thankful that I had purchased it and was pleased with its performance. At 3.5 kva, it ran everything including the washing machine, but not the clothes dryer, which, while not an essential, my difficulty with balance causes problems when trying to hang clothes. Made it near essential when Mum was with me. No power meant no air-conditioning, so I am very pleased that it did not all happen mid-summer, and with temperatures here cruising as low as

14 deg Max. and 3 deg Min. I am glad it was not now.

I have an air-conditioner in my computer room which keeps me comfortable when it is really cold. An electric blanket keeps me comfortable at night.

Had planned to get fence re-erected over a week ago, but despite careful planning as presented on “Achievements” thread, that has been postponed in favour of preparation for roof and internal wall and ceiling repairs – Bent roofing iron, a couple of water leaks at ceiling and walls, and separation between walls & cornices, due to racking in the building frame. A friend is coming to work with me on the fence this Wednesday. So, generally, things are coming back together, literally and figuratively.

Attended four counselling sessions over last four weeks. I realised that I definitely needed assistance with addressing a few issues – where I've been, am at now, and where to, type stuff. Commented that I am annoyed, at my age, to still be dealing with the issues from way back. But that is what counselling is for and all about, I guess. Counsellor is a lady with whom I have already established a good rapport. In fact decided on the Sunday, rang on Monday and an appointment arranged for 11.00 am that same day {Same day the power was re-connected}. So fortunate in a number of ways.

I am aware that the cyclone and its effects have brought to the surface many issues that may have been just slowly 'smouldering away underneath the surface'. I am sure that it applies to others as well as me. “An ill wind that blows no-body any good.” So, while there has been, in many ways, a considerable degree of upheaval, there are certainly a lot of positives, as long as I {we} care to make ourselves aware of them.

Enough about me and my space. I'm not sure if it's the common interest in biking, or similar writing styles, maybe a combination of both, but I do feel comfortable letting you know whats happening for me. Thank you.

Great to hear about your biking venture, via the scenic route, with one of your boys. That balance challenge, you talk about, is common for both of us, and no doubt, others. However, I think that it comes partly by anticipation of possible problems. Once we are on the bike it seems to vanish, without trace. I like your reference to that, in the expression: “My stress? Oh yeah, it's back there.” and “And may I add, I'd forgotten about it till you asked.” It certainly is a good feeling to get out and feel the wind from the front. Hard to describe in words.

I hope that your un-wellness, and the balance challenge, has lifted and that you are feeling in good spirits now, and to hear of your longer ride next week.

While this note is fairly long, it has been good to give a summary of events over the last few weeks that is, in essence, positive after what seemed, and really was, an extraordinary event in this area and in my space.

With My Very Best Wishes to You

and your family Determined

HenryX

Re: My self care motorcycle and photography adventure

Hoping to dust my baby off in the next couple of weeks. Once I am clear of uni assessment, school meetings, and end of year dr check ups. Looking forward to it.

Waaay to run down to consider being on 2 wheels (with a motor attached) at the moment. Cycling is is in some ways compensating though so thankful for that. 

Been a while since I have contributed to this thread because I had been a while since I have been riding just for fun. Unfortunately my 'baby' has been  relegated to commuter duties. Well recently my darling has decided she wants to ride with me 😃

So for my birthday we have purchased a bigger motocycle 😁

It is old but in really good condition. Makes me happy to see darling so excited about our upcoming excursions

We want to do a regular Sunday lunch ride and she is already planing a holiday road trip in September interstate to visit family. ~1500km round trip. 

Hello @Determined 

The new bike and anticipation of regular Sunday lunch rides together sounds really good.

Can you offer us any details of the bike?

Best Wishes,

@HenryX 

@HenryX  not the actual bike but one of these. Honda ST1300

Screenshot_20220525-174732_Samsung Internet.jpg

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance