Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: My day so far

Hi @Swansong 

I will tell you how to make the baked brown rice risotto. It is very easy to make. I got the idea for the recipe here:

https://cookieandkate.com/easy-brown-rice-risotto-with-mushrooms-and-fresh-oregano/#tasty-recipes-23...

My recipe is slightly different. This is how I make mine...

1 tbsp olive oil

100g brown onion

75g carrot

50g celery 

2 cloves garlic 

1 tsp dried thyme or

1 tsp dried basil or

1/3 tsp dried basil and

1/3 tsp dried oregano and

1/3 tsp dried parsley 

1 tsp Herbamare organic seasoning salt

Ground black pepper 

300g uncooked brown rice 

1 litre water 

Olive oil spray

50g frozen baby peas

50g frozen kale

2 tbsp olive oil, extra

75g Parmigiano Reggiano or Grana Padano cheese 

Then choose from...

200g poached, shredded chicken breast* or 

100g asparagus and

100g Beretta prosciutto di Palma or

200g tuna in olive oil (drained) and

Juice of 1/2 a lemon or 

200g roasted pumpkin or

200g Swiss brown mushrooms 

Or whatever you like.

Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a large baking dish with olive oil spray (you can just use oil if you don't have spray). I use a 23cm x 32cm Pyrex baking dish. 

Finely chop the garlic in a mini food processor. Finely chop the onion, carrot and celery (you can chop that in the food processor too if you like).

Cook the onion, carrot and celery with the olive oil on a medium low heat for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a further 5 minutes. You don't want to brown the onion etc. Just soften it.

Take off the heat and add the brown rice, dried herbs, seasoning salt, ground black pepper and water (and lemon juice if you are using it). Stir well.

Pour everything into the baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 70 minutes.

While it is cooking steam the frozen baby peas and kale for 5 minutes. (If you are using asparagus, steam for 3 minutes.) Grate the cheese in a mini food processor.

When it is ready it will be very hot, so be careful. Use a spatula to transfer it to a large bowl. You might need another person to hold the baking dish while you scrape it into the bowl.

Add the olive oil and cheese and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon for about 2 minutes. This will give you the consistency of risotto.

Add your other ingredients and stir well to combine.

Also, sometimes I just use 1 brown onion if I don't have any carrot or celery. And sometimes instead of dried herbs I use 1 sachet of Gourmet Garden semi dried herbs.

*I can tell you how to make the poached, shredded chicken breast. This is very easy to make as well.

I forgot to say...

If you are using the prosciutto then don't use the teaspoon of salt. The prosciutto has about 1 teaspoon of salt in it.

Chop the prosciutto in a mini food processor and add to pan with the brown rice and water etc. You bake the prosciutto with everything else. 

How to make the poached, shredded chicken breast...

Rinse the chicken breast in cold water and pat dry with paper towel. This takes the yucky sliminess off the chicken. 

Bring 1 litre of water to boil in a saucepan.

Once the water is boiling add the chicken breast and put on the lid. Wait a few minutes for the water to come back to boiling temperature, then turn off the heat.

Let the chicken breast sit and poach for 20 minutes. If you are using a chicken breast that is larger than 250g, let it sit for 25 minutes. 

When ready put the chicken in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap (you want to keep the moisture in the chicken). Let it sit and cool for about 5 minutes.

Use an old fashioned mixer with two attachments to shred the chicken. 

Like this:28144768843806.jpg

If you don't have a mixer you can use two forks to shred the chicken.

Then cover the bowl with the plastic wrap until you are ready to use the chicken. 

Hi @Lost9 @wellwellwellnez and @Swansong and anyone else who supported my post. How are you today? I'm not feeling so good today so I need to take care of myself. I'm going to make a cup of tea now and watch some episodes of The Supervet. I have only been able to find about five episodes on YouTube. I can't find where else to watch them. I might email The Supervet website and ask them.

Also, hello to @Abner @HenryX @Snowie and @Last-Lament . I hope you are well today.

Good morning @Arizona 

Sounds like you have some things to do to take care of yourself. Well done for putting those steps into place. I hope the day improves for you.

Take care 

Hi @wellwellwellnez 

That's great that phone therapy is working for you. My therapist is in Melbourne (2 hours away) and because of lockdown I'm having phone therapy too.

Hi @Arizona ,

I'm sorry you are not feeling so well today but I am glad you are taking care of yourself. I haven't watched SuperVet but it sounds like a good program to watch. I hope you can find some more episodes to enjoy.

Hello @Snowie @Swansong @wellwellwellnez I hope your day is better.

Best wishes,

Lost9

Hi @Arizona thank you for your kind wishes, today was cold, tonight even colder with a freezing wind. I moved my container plants under cover to keep them out of the frost. 

Have managed to wash bathroom and kitchen towels and things, and get them dried, not put away yet. 

Also made another lovely Vegetable Biryani for tonight and tomorrow nights' dinners with a chicken schnitzel for protein. It's yummy, but some organising and effort, so glad to have managed that.

I trust  you will be able to find something, no matter how small, each day to help lighten the load you are currently carrying, even if it is for a moment. Heart

Hi @Last-Lament 

July is the coldest month where I live and the hardest month to get through. I'm just glad that we have passed the winter solstice (on 22 June) and now the days are getting longer.

Well done for making yourself some healthy and interesting meals. I love cooking but I know how hard it can be. A friend gave me a recipe for an Italian style chicken schnitzel. It has herbs and garlic and parmesan cheese in the crumbs. It sounds so yummy. I'm going to make it one day with sourdough rye bread crumbs.

Hi @Lost9 

Here is a link to The Supervet website, which explains what the show is about, who Noel Fitzpatrick is and what he does.

http://www.thesupervet.com/

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance