Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Mindful Mondays: New activity every Monday

Mindful Mondays

rupam-dutta-5OMff2RDqPs-unsplash.jpg

Living with complex mental illness can be challenging, and when life throws a few additional curve balls your way, it can also be incredibly stressful, with the potential to wreak havoc on your emotions and perceptions. So how do we manage our emotions when life gives you lemons? I’m not going to suggest you make lemonade, instead I’m going to ask you to consider adding music to your coping skills toolbox!

I know a lot of us already listen to music – in the car, driving to work, working out, or drowning out – but have you ever REALLY listened to music? Let’s find out…

As we’ve covered in the previous Mindful Monday posts, mindfulness is the practice of being in the present moment. There is no pressure to do or change anything, simply notice the thoughts and feelings as they arise in the present moment. But minds can be pesky at the best of times, let alone when you ask one to practice mindfulness – this is likely to be the moment your mind conveniently kicks into overdrive and remembers the name of your first grade teacher!

If you’ve ever found mindfulness to be challenging, then this exercise might be for you. If you’ve ever struggled to stay the course with breath meditation, adding music to your mindful practice can help you stay focused and in the present moment. So let’s jump in!

Have you ever listened to music whilst attending to another task, found yourself humming along, then realised you don’t actually know the words to the lyrics, despite it being your favourite song? Or have you ever been carried away by a beautifully composed soundtrack and felt fully immersed in the experience? Whether you listen to music from a place of disconnect, or you’re a music lover who notices every note, take a few moments in your day to try the following mindful music exercise:

1. Think about how you’d prefer to listen and where: are you more of a Youtuber or a Spotifier? Do you have a banging set of headphones, or are you more an analogue/record player listener?

2. Select your track: are you keen to explore the rhythm and tone of lyrics, or is an instrumental track more your speed? This is a track I’ve been using, and it would be great to see what other members choose too, so feel free to share!

3. Listen: the task is to simply listen. Make sure you’re in a quiet place and won’t be interrupted.

4. Notice: simply notice what you’re hearing. Is the music slow or fast? Can you notice the pitch or the quality of the vocals? Can you feel the music in your body i.e. does it make your skin tingle or do you feel the beat in your chest? Do you notice any emotion arise as you listen, and if so where do you feel that in your body/how do you notice it? If any additional thoughts enter your mind, simply note them and move your attention back to the music.

And that’s it! There is nothing too fancy or any particular trick to it, it’s simply listening, noticing and if you’re lucky enough, maybe enjoying the practice. If you give mindful music a try this week we’d love to hear how it went, and if you have a track you find particularly calming or you enjoy, please let us know!

🎶Go well this week 🎶

@Aer2812 @Shaz51 @tyme @NatureLover @StuF @frog @Clawde @cloudcore @Emelia8 @Judi9877 @Appleblossom @Bow @mantaray @Snowie @Gwynn @Anastasia @BlueBay @pinklollipop15 @Ma60 @Spirit_Healer @Fluttershy1 @BlueTrane @Krishna @Jynx @mmarks1 @AussieRecharger @Jorge @Everan @Dimity @Paperdaisy @nony @flybluebird @Appleblossom @StuF @greenpea @M_7 

I enjoy listening to music when I paint. Usually a playlist of Spotify or YouTube music. Recently bought myself a Bluetooth speaker so I can crank the volume up a little bit…, and can also listen to music when I am sitting outside.

Great activity suggestion @Rhye !

I listen to a lot of music, but I will try this as a more 'formal' practise some time this week 🙂

@Bow yes to the music whilst painting! But also, have you shared your art here with us? No pressure, but would love to see it if you'd like to share.

@StuF howdy, my music friend 🎶 Get into and get back to us, but again no pressure 😊

@Rhye  this is a big canvas I have just finished. I like plants 🙂 

7BEEF77B-26FA-4751-82FA-1E8386605E4A.jpeg

and these are a few others that I have done. 

48A55952-2398-46CC-B3F6-EDFB17BBF10D.jpeg

1509C795-C81C-43AB-9DA5-E526C7CE2F4C.jpeg

These are really beautiful @Bow You are very talented 🌻

Gah, @Bow, these are brilliant!! I have a love of plants too so I really appreciate these.

I absolutely love the colour palette you've chosen in the large scale painting, as well as "bloom" – a bit of a retro feel you've got going on there?

Thanks @Rhye @Paperdaisy  

yes @Rhye  i love those warm earthy tones and those retro vibes. 

Wow @Bow ! Astonishing! Thank you for sharing your work! 

In terms of mindfulness, how did you feel as you completed these art works?

tyme

Mindful Mondays, 7th March 2022

<<< Has anyone heard of the practice of a ‘Sit Spot’ in Nature? >>> 
🌿🍁🐚🌿🍁🐚🌿🍁🐚🌿🍁🐚🌿🍁🐚🌿🍁🐚

What is a sit spot? A sit spot is simply a favourite place in nature (or looking out a window at nature) that is visited regularly to cultivate awareness, expand senses and study patterns of local plants, birds, trees, and animals. The practice supports mindfulness, builds routine and increases focus.

I was doing this before knowing there was an actual term for it. But is probably one of the best ways I have found that work for me in mindfulness and results in a calmer sense of self.
The idea is that it’s a place that you can go back to on a regular (everyone’s regular will look differently) & build that support into your wellbeing routine.

keenan-davidson-dnbEpifdrDU-unsplash.jpg

Photo credit: Keenan Davidson (Unsplah.com)

It’s simply: Mindful Observation of your environment / surroundings
This exercise is simple but can be incredibly powerful because it helps you notice & appreciate seemingly simple elements of your environment in a more profound way.

This exercise if designed to connect us with the beauty of the natural environment, something that is easily missed when we are rushing around in our day-to-day activities & schedules.

1. Choose a natural object from within your immediate environment and focus on watching it for a minute or two. This could be a flower or an insect, or even the clouds or moon.
  2. Don’t do anything except notice the thing you are looking at. Simply relax into watching for as long as your concentration allows.
  3. Look at this object as if you are seeing it for the first time.
  4. Visually explore every aspect of its formation, and allow yourself to be consumed by its presence.
  5. Allow yourself to connect with its energy and its purpose within the natural world.
  6. Return back to this place when it suits you.

You get to choose how long or short you wish to give yourself for engaging in the mindful observations. I have personally felt it’s one off benefits, but also find it when done consecutively over a number of days how it helps around maintenance of my overall wellbeing.

I’d love to hear your thoughts, experiences or places you’d choose as your ‘sit spot’.

boris-smokrovic-VmCPfSU_84A-unsplash.jpg

Photo credit: Boris Smokrovic (Unsplah.com)

Tagging those of you who have been following along or dipping in & out of the weekly Mindfulness Monday conversations 😊

@Peri @Everan @Dimity @nony @Clawde @Shaz51 @Bow @Emelia8 @StuF @Gwynn @Anastasia @NatureLover @Appleblossom @Snowie @Judi9877 @Daisydreamer @tyme @Rhye @Paperdaisy @cloudcore @BlueBay @AussieRecharger @Eve7 @utopia @frog @Krishna @pinklollipop15 @greenpea @Fluttershy1 

Flybluebird 🪶

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance