Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Managing Bipolar 1

Hi all @greenpea @Dadcaringalone @MorningSilence @frog @Shaz51 @Mazarita

I've had a busy few days so sorry I haven't been more support   Just juggling too many balls at the moment.  Plus I don't see your posts if you don't tag me in.

@Dadcaringalone feeling for you with all you are going through at the moment.  So glad to see you made a good connection here with @greenpea.  You are both amazingly strong and clearly doing your best in difficult times.

@MorningSilence I'm glad you found this thread and also found @Mazarita's words helpful.  @Mazarita and @greenpea you are gems.

I agree about the public hospital inpatients' wards and how awful they can be.  I hope that if I ever have to go in again I can go private, but I have no private insurance and little savings.  Where I see my private psychiatrist has a really good reputation for inpatients and that's where I'd want to go.  I've seen the worst of life when a public  inpatient myself and I don't think it's a good environment for longer term recovery, but it has been essential in my life re getting diagnosed and getting medicated appropriately to stabilize out of psychosis.  The other problem I see is that there's been little to no follow-up care whenever I've been discharged.  At least if I went to the private place my current psychiatrist would be able to see me.  

As far as I know you just need a referral from a GP to go private, or an assessment by the team at the private hospital if an emergency.

Hoping today is a peaceful one for you all.

@eth Hi eth and everyone, my experience with public was less than perfect with next to no follow up care. Everyone thought it was a one off and that I would be alright of course I wasn't and that wasn't found out to almost 18 months afterwards .... not in a hospital either but by a really super pdoc (they make all the difference don't they). Then he was followed by Dr Gorgeous when the original Doc retired. Funnily enough I remember the original doc said to me that I had bipolar 1 and that I should occupy myself with arts and crafts ... it wasn't until Dr Gorgeous that I had the additional schizo added on.*sigh* the pea just isn't made for calm and 'pea'ceful all the time.

I am super happy that you have been busy eth, so have I with psych appointment and getting my daughter home :). Good talking to you and now I am off to go for a walk 😛 xx

Really happy to hear about your daughter @greenpea.  Have a nice day xx

@eth@greenpea

Dear All. Sorry I fell off the radar for a while but been pretty overwhelmed with visiting doctors, case workers, washing, cooking, avoiding conflicts, shopping and sending my daughter money. I agree with both of your comments about public hospital psych wards! Apparently according to the dr we saw yesterday my son’s bipolar is in remission whatever that means! Took him out for dinner and to see a movie last night to celebrate this, basically from the hospital’s point of view he’s now finally on the right meds and not suicidal! That’s where their help stops and now we are both left to pick up the pieces and keep truck’n. My son’s still volitile and as you said greenpea after his uncontrollable fits of rage he usually forgets when he’s been angry and I’m just left to pick up the pieces. At least he’s at home now and speaking with me but I’m left doing absolutely everything for him to support his studies. He’s completely lost insight into how his mi impacts on others. There are now even more triggers to avoid at your peril and I’m seen as the loose cannon who could potentially trigger these triggers when he’s tired, stressed or just in a bad mood for some reason. Its a perpetual voiding to try and not break egg shells which is a complete impossibly. He doesn’t want counseling anymore as he doesn’t want to bring up old triggers and is only happy to see his case worker and the public health psychiatrist. This is the new reality I have to adjust to and if anything goes wrong it’s because I’m not having regular enough counseling to cope with my carer duties. I can see that when the dr says you are in remission the meds are chemically restraining symptoms but then they manifest other symptoms and realities you the carer and the patient  need to face on a daily basis.

Had a question about whether the schizo effective bipolar diagnosis still applies or just bipolar? Shows the limits of labels which are not meant to be used for humans!

So happy for you and your daughter greenpea. Hope you all enjoy your weekends. Take care, enjoy your walk - that sounds like a good idea and keep truck’n xxx

@Dadcaringalone Hmmmm .... something doesn't sound right to me that he is so volitile and blaming you about everything still..... I love how the hospital has said he is in remission and you can go and pick him up! Fun for you....  I just don't know what to suggest from here except to keep moving forward, stay positive and not give up. Except maybe get a second opinion cannot hurt.....

Even though I now have schizoaffective disorder I still have my bipolar 1 as well (you can have both).

I am worried about my son atm I think in the next week he will lose it big time as things are coming home to roost for him when he realizes he cannot make all the stuff that he wants too (long story).

@greenpea I agree definitely need a second opinion but not right now. The doctors won’t change his meds even though he is sleeping all the time and my son is over all psychiatrists at present. I will stay strong and keep truck’n until things stabilize enough so we can catch our breath.

Sorry to hear about your son, remember try to keep things stable as it’s the best thing for you and also your son.  Take care and I send you positive vibes to keep truck’n xxx

@Dadcaringalone you are such a sweetie 😄 I so look forward to your posts as even though you are going through so much you always see the bright side of everything. Puts a smile on my face everytime 🙂 xx

Sending wishes for a peaceful day @greenpea and @Dadcaringalone

@eth you too eth *hugs*!

Hey @greenpea How's your morning going so far?  Is your daughter settling in at home nicely?  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance