Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Managing Bipolar 1

I'm not saying antidepressants don't work for everybody @Shaz51.  Some people they work really well.  But some of us with bipolar are affected adversely.  I'd definitely follow your dr's advice on that.

@frog Hi cutie pie frog. Even talking about the seasons effects me. *sigh* 

ntidepressants don't work @eth, it mad a diffrence when mr shaz was put on anti anxity meds

@Shaz51 I think I've read you saying Mr goes on and off meds by himself at times - for me they always work better if I stay on them for a while and I only change them when my psychiatrist tells me to.  A lot of meds take up to several weeks to have their full benefit.  Having said that, I'm sure you can tell by now when something is working for him or not.  Correct me if I'm wrong about his situation.  I certainly don't mean to preach or tell anyone else what to do.  Heart

It took many years of trial and error for my dr's to now write in my treatment plan that I have adverse reactions to ad's.   I do feel for you if that's what your going through with him.

yes @eth, I can totally tell when mr shaz stops his meds , within a few days I am telling hime to talk his meds pleases

That must be really difficult for you @Shaz51  You are so strong supporting him when you have your own health battles too.

I can see the change @eth and then I will ask Mr shaz if he has stopped and he says yes -- can you see a difference -- ammmm yes I can

@Shaz51 for me being 'medication compliant' (doing what my psychiatrist tells me to) is pretty much the most important part of staying reasonably stable in terms of bipolar mood.  I am on antipsychotics and mood stabilizers and an adrenalin blocker.

I don't know how you cope with such frequent changes in Mr's meds and moods.  Like I said, you're incredibly strong to manage that.

@ethMy son was incorrectly prescribed with antidepressants with bipolar schizo effective, its made him suicidal and the manic episodes were even worse. We have just changed those to a mood stabilizer with an antipsychotic which doesn’t cause weight gain and other bad side effects like liver damage. Much better results so far and he said he’s thinking very clearly 

That's great to hear @Dadcaringalone.  I know all about the b'*&'dy weight gain.  20 kg over the last 9 years and so hard to lose as long as I'm on these meds.  But I have to put mental health above physical health - I hate having to have that priority at times, but I know I need it.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance