Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Managing Bipolar 1

@Shaz51 Hi Shaz51 how are you going? A bit better I hope.

hello my super @greenpea, just thinking of my mr shaz and how I can help him with his bipolar 11

@greenpea Hi! and @Dadcaringalone  I didn't know I had bipolar til I was 46 either - 9 years ago.  Round and round the rollercoaster for many years before that - now that I know I'd say I've had it since my teens.  I've only had real support with it for 1 1/2 years now, never before that as I ruined relationships with family and poor life choices habitually.  And it took a few years after diagnosis to work out who was really up to being a steady and trusted support person for me.  A couple tried but it didn't work out (my mum and my adult child) for various reasons but now I am more stable than ever and largely thanks to my bro and sil being so steady and reliable.    I trust them enough to listen if they tell me they think things are changing one way or the other.  And respect them enough not to vent on them.  I can only hope that if I really escalated into mania and psychosis again I would allow them to get help for me or get me to hospital, without having to involve police again - that would totally flip me out.  My highest priority from day to day is staying out of hospital and continuing to live where I am. 

@Former-Member and @Shaz51  I'm very glad this thread is working for you and others already.  Feel free to share whatever you like pertaining to bipolar.

And that includes the way it can interact with or impact on concurrent MH problems (in my case cPTSD).

@Shaz51 I don't get depression (once I did for about 18 months where I just slept) but I didn't feel 'depressed' just exhausted. I get the manic/aggressive side of bipolar hece the bipolar 1 schizoaffective disorder diagnosis.

I am sure you are wonderful with mr shaz 😄

Hey @Silenus long time no see.  You might want to contribute here too (or not, that's fine).  Hope you're travelling well and still writing.

Hi @eth I can relate to much of what you’re saying. I was 47 when diagnosed and probably should have been at 16. It’s bitter sweet looking back. I get really exhausted from the ups and downs and things have been volatile with spring’s arrival. 

Hi @greenpea @Shaz51 @Former-Member @Dadcaringalone

I must add that communicating with friends and others I don't know so well here on the forums is a huge part of daily coping for me too.  @greenpea @Shaz51 @Former-Member @Dadcaringalone @frog

Thanks for sharing @frog  Yes seasonal changes can be a big factor for many folk with bipolar.  Hope things get easier for you soon as spring progresses.

SANE Admin it means a lot that you are following and supporting this thread too.  Thanks.

with the anti anxiety meds @greenpea, mr shaz says he is not depreesed anymore ,he is still onanti depressants and anti anxiety meds xxx @eth

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance