Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Keeping Active & Getting More Sun

I start focusing on what works.  Although I struggle to go out into public I force myself to do it.  It's been a hard slog getting over the light sensitivity after locking myself in for so long.  Thus far I have been cycling.  I think I will start walking as well.  Although I find that more challenging in terms of proximity to people but think mixing up the activity is something I need to start doing. 

I managed quite a large number of kms today but have to admit I did that on my new Eclectic MTB not pictured.  Getting the electric assist will keep me out for longer and somthing I am also finding keeps me more active on the long run compared to non-eclectic.  To be sure both have their pros and cons and I'll be keeping my non-electric pictured below:  

Keeping it quiet.jpg

Afternoon-sun.jpg

Hopefully my posts in here will be more spirited and help me with my others when it comes to dealing with day to day after becoming a little more active and getting sunlight; period.

Little by little ... sensible exposure on both fronts.  Hopefully I will get a grip on food next but not a priority right now. Admittedly I am morbidly obese and have to work on it if I want to stay away from doctors. 😁  Sounds like a plan. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Keeping Active & Getting More Sun

Great thread and great exercise idea @Former-Member !

Definitely worthwhile focusing on what you can do 🙂 I don't mind bike riding, but I have a fear of riding on the roads, even if there are bike lanes. I just don't feel safe. 

How do you get around this?

Hey there @tyme 

My preference not to engage on the sidewalk is greater than the fear of being hit on the road.  Yet fear is definitely a factor when riding a bicycle on the road.  Yesterday, I was only just thinking about getting insurance for my new bike whilst I was flying alongside parked cars and those taking up the lanes.  All it takes is for someone’s lapse in awareness when opening a car door and both my bike and I are done.  The bike lanes can confuse cars where they meet roundabouts & or intersections, so I generally take up the lane when approaching any turns but do so at my own risk whilst those that forget the rules beep and tell me I am not allowed on the road.

I find rural roads no more dangerous than in town so having second thoughts before engaging on those roads as well.  My thoughts towards how and where I will ride, is similar to when thinking about walking outside my front door.  I pick back streets and avoid peak times.

I also make sure I have a bike with good suspension, fat tires and semi slick tread which all make for good traveling over a number of different surfaces.  Basically allows me to travel from road to footpath and most of what’s in between.  MUST HAVE ... mirror .. riding on the road without a mirror = death.

I’m a stickler for the rules, but lately have given up caring because the inconsistency with policing has a negative impact on my psyche.  That said, I still ware my helmet when others do not, I keep my bikes speed restricted whilst others fly by pedestrians at break neck speeds, I slow down when approaching others, I do my best to nod when I don’t feel like it, I use my bell but get looked at like I am a goose.  I ware these things called cats ears attached to the helmet strapping that stops the gush of wind entering my ears.  The only thing I am missing is a bright orange flag and tiny helicopter blades that would complement the cat’s ears on my helmet.

To round it all off – whilst I do not wish harm to others or myself, I don’t care what others think of how I look on my bike ‘while I am riding it.’  Motion is good like that.  I am too focused trying to stay alive.  I’m learning from scratch again.  The world is not what it used to be when I used to fly through the traffic and I am also not as fit as I used to be; far from it. 

All that said… cycling on the road is dangerous and I feel for those states that do not allow people to ride on the sidewalk.  Yet today that side walk is littered with scooters thrown to the side, taking up space in the middle of the path, people flying by others without a care for the impact they have and looking at those following the rules as if they should not be allowed outside.  So for me, I find the sidewalks just as chaotic.  I now learn to break rules for my own safety as well as others. I still follow the regulations that give me and others a greater chance of surviving.   This is how I travel between the footpath, open spaces and urban roads getting from my house to the beach or whatever tree I can find away from said species. Laughs out loud. 

I salute drivers that give way to me and above all do my best not to react to those that wish I was dead.  Making it home alive is what I am thankful for.  The more my skill and confidence grows the more encouraging people I will see.  They are out there, but often I miss them because of how down I have been.  It's worth noting I am 2 years on from a road rage incident where a returning Australian soldier with an ABI attacked me with a pickaxe from his trade vehicle.  He was later held accountable in court whilst I now avoid driving at all cost.  The fact I am on a bicycle giving it a go I credit to the ongoing therapy I have and the fact I want to see my grandson get the assistance he also needs.

If you read this far … I don’t suppose Sane allows members to blog here?  Like I saw a blog section but think it’s just for one person?  I can’t help but go over three hundred words. 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about biking @Former-Member . I really appreciate it. There is so much to consider in what you have posted.

Through your post, I admire you for how far you have come. It's incredible to hear your story of resilience, triumph and strength.

Once again, thank you for sharing.

Blogs are a little different from the forums.  A team work together to publish the blogs, and members of the community respond to the blog. Hope that makes sense 🙂

How's your day been today?

@Former-Member Thankyou for this post , it’s really positive and can I just say so much respect to you for getting back out there. It’s encouraged me to try and be more involved in trying to be out and about even at times when my OCD is bad , it’s nice to hear this and so encouraging so Thankyou 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance