Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: How to cultivate self-worth??

@Janis_J wrote:

Does Schema Therapy address behaviour change and coping tools as well, or is it more about reprogramming the conscious/subconscious narratives (and therefor eventually resolving issues to reduce destructive behaviours, triggers and reactions)?

Hey Janis, always glad to talk about experiences...

Schema adresses coping tools through education of our 'schema modes' or 'coping modes'. So I have learned my coping modes and the situations that trigger them. Then when I recognise they are triggered, I better understand how to use my soothing techniques and which ones are most effective dependent on the situation. I found the Psych Collective youtube videos very useful research for understanding how it works. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdFXYiKIH7BGh5f7VKGwJH7Ythe1MhiuE

Schema also used a behaviour change technique called 'limited reparenting', where the psychologist takes on the role of a parent type figure in managing my behaviours in the sessions. This technique using a skill called 'empathic confrontation' where I would kind of be told off for any unhelpful behaviours that I display. For example, I remember my psychologist expressed concern about me for something and I said "you don't have to worry about me" which is classic 'detached protector coping mode' behaviour, not letting someone care for me. So my psychologist said in a rasied voice "I DON'T WORRY ABOUT YOU". That may sound really harsh but feeling scolded, soon stopped me using avoidant behaviours. So if I then if i said something that let her in, like "thank you for thinking about me" in response to her concern, my psychologist would then respond with a supportive statment like "I really care about you", which feels amazing and I soon learn letting people in feels good. That helped deal with my thoughts that "I am not worthy of help" etc. 

@Pato 

Thanks so much for providing that link for Jess O'Garr and schema therapy. I have just spent the last hour watching her videos. My psychologist wants to do memory rescripting with me but I have found the idea of it terrifying so it was good to see the theory behind it all. It helps to understand the theory so I can understand how the therapy is going to work. I heard from my psychologist today and unfortunately it's going to be at least another 4-6 weeks before she has an opening for me to resume therapy (we have been on a break due to my ill health late last year/beginning of this year). I look at trauma therapy like eating my vegies. I don't want to do it but think it will be good for my health in the long run.

Meggle

@Pato It sounds like you found an amazing therapist for you if she can pull that off successfully!

I can see why that would be helpful, my partner has a similar approach which I find very useful. 

Thanks for sharing some of your experience Heart

@Oaktree wrote:

My psychologist wants to do memory rescripting with me but I have found the idea of it terrifying so it was good to see the theory behind it all. It helps to understand the theory so I can understand how the therapy is going to work. 

Meggle

Yeah it's tough but effective to some degree. I think its worth it in the long run too. I hope your health stays good and you are able to achieve what you want too. Keep it in touch and let us all know how you go.

Thanks.

Pato

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance